We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is this a generally safe area to stay?

Which Bakersfield hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York
reviews: 89
Is this a generally safe area to stay?

Hello...My husband and I are planning our first trip to California, and we are planning on spending a couple days in Bakersfield to attend the Hot Rod Nationals. Since we are unfamiliar with the area, I have chosen our standby, the Homewood Suites, as our place to stay. Is it safe to travel around the city of Bakersfield, generally speaking? We like to explore and I was wondering what the areas to stay away from might be. Thanks!

7 replies to this topic
Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
reviews: 7
1. Re: Is this a generally safe area to stay?

Generally its a pretty safe town, and where that hotel is near Cal State is a nice section of town, with rather large high-end homes.I have friends that live in the neighborhoods right nearby.

You going to be at Famoso Raceway?

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
reviews: 337
2. Re: Is this a generally safe area to stay?

Yeah, it is a great area actually. You can walk to The Marketplace center that has some nice restaurants like Tahoe Joe's and Toro Fusion Grill and a Me 'n Ed's Pizza Restaurant that are all but gone now from LA and Orange County. Also Edward's(Regal) Theaters and some nice shops as well.

Grover Beach, Ca
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
reviews: 3
3. Re: Is this a generally safe area to stay?

I would try to avoid the older areas of Bakersfield, if possible, especially at night. The majority of the town west of the 99 freeway is pretty safe, except for, possibly the area around Ming Ave, Wible Road to Ashe.

Also, avoid the areas between Chester Ave, California Ave, Brundage Lane & East Bakersfield (East of Union Ave), as they are gang ridden.

Chester Ave north of California Ave to 24th Street through downtown Bako is pretty safe.

While visiting the area, you can hop on Highway 178 east and take a drive up through part of Kern Canyon or turn left onto Alfred Harrell Highway and drive through Hart Park, which loops back to Northeast Bakersfield where you can get back on Highway 178 west through downtown and back to Highway 99 or into Rosedale.

Don't miss:

Dewar's Soda Shop. Great homemade ice cream, sundaes and candy (the peanut butter chews are awesome!)

Basque food (Benji's is pretty popular in Bako)

Smith's Bakery

Pyrennes Bread (Can buy at any grocery store in town)

Edited: 12:08 pm, January 01, 2013
New York
4. Re: Is this a generally safe area to stay?

Hello! Thank you for answering! We will be going to the Western Hot Rod Nationals at Kern County Fairgrounds. We aren't going until 2014, but I was trying to get an idea of what to look for, what to watch out for and what else to do. We love antique malls and so forth, and love to eat at new restaurants! ;)

New York
5. Re: Is this a generally safe area to stay?

I really appreciate everyone's feedback! This is all great information and I love reading the posts!!!

Grover Beach, Ca
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
reviews: 3
6. Re: Is this a generally safe area to stay?

Yeah, the fairgrounds aren't in the best area of Bako, but there will likely be security there, just like at fair time.

I suggest you start Googling some of the activities you're interested in to see what's available. I used to live in Bako, but moved away 24 years ago, so not as familiar with what is there in terms of antique malls, etc.

I would avoid Valley Plaza shopping center, as the gangs have infiltrated it and there have been some "incidents" there. Nothing as of late, but still wise to avoid, all the same.

The best local food includes Woolgrowers or Benji's for Basque food, Luigi's for Italian, Mexicali or Mauricio's for Mexican (The better Mexicali is located on 18th St), Bill Lee's or Bamboo Chopsticks for Chinese. Again, Dewar's with its old fashioned soda fountain and awesome chews, Smith's Bakery for delicious breakfast pastries, donuts or cookies and Pyrennes bread, which they serve at the Basque places and can be found at any grocery store in town.

Bakersfield...
7. Re: Is this a generally safe area to stay?

You can do two things at once here. www.yelp.com/biz/woolworth-diner-bakersfield

You order a made fresh hamburger at the old soda fountain then wonder in the store and look at antiques for sale :)

Edited: 6:08 pm, December 25, 2013
Reply to: Is this a generally safe area to stay?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted