We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lodging option to avoid Bakersfield from AZ-CA?

Which Bakersfield hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
California
reviews: 36
Lodging option to avoid Bakersfield from AZ-CA?

I just read the hugely helpful string from last year on cross-country trip advice, and I have one specific question. We are traveling for Christmas next month from SF Bay Area to ABQ by car. Outbound, we'll stop in Tehachapi first night and Winslow (always La Posada) second night. Returning, I was thinking of Williams (Red Garter Inn?) for night 1 and I need an overnight spot for night 2. Is there anything between Tehachapi and Bakersfield, or outside of Bakersfield? We could stay there, obviously, but it takes extra time getting in and out when you're just looking for a night's lodging. Just curious. Tehach is about 5 1/2 hrs and we could do 7 hrs. that day.

Thanks, as always!

3 replies to this topic
Grover Beach, Ca
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
reviews: 3
1. Re: Lodging option to avoid Bakersfield from AZ-CA?

There isn't anything between Tehachapi and Bakersfield.

You might look at Buttonwillow along I-5. It's outside of Bakersfield and sets you up nicely for the rest of your drive home. The downside is getting over to Buttonwillow in a timely manner, since you'll have to drive through part of Bakersfield to get over to I-5 (Traffic through town can be brutal during commute hours).

My suggestion would be take Highway 58 all the way to the end at Real Road, turn right on Real Road and then left at the first light on to Stockdale Highway. Continue to Enos Lane and follow the signs to McKittrick Highway (AKA: Highway 58) toward Buttonwillow (DON'T turn right on Highway 58 east toward Rosedale).

I don't know anything about the hotels in Buttonwillow. Suggest you do a search and see if anything works for you.

If nothing there appeals to you, then consider one of the hotels on the north part of Highway 58/Rosedale Highway, which is a good area with lots of dining and shopping options nearby. You would take Highway 99 north a few miles to the Highway 58/Highway 178 exit and turn left.

Or....

Go straight from the off ramp and stay at Buck Owens Crystal Palace or one of the other hotels on Buck Owens Blvd.

Edited: 7:19 pm, November 28, 2012
Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
reviews: 344
2. Re: Lodging option to avoid Bakersfield from AZ-CA?

>>>If nothing there appeals to you, then consider one of the hotels on the north part of Highway 58/Rosedale Highway, which is a good area with lots of dining and shopping options nearby. You would take Highway 99 north a few miles to the Highway 58/Highway 178 exit and turn left. <<<

That is where I stay, the I-5/Rosedale Highway area, nice hotel, good restaurants and the Crystal Palace are all right there. The Buttonwillow hotels are nothing special.

Dallas, Oregon
reviews: 263
3. Re: Lodging option to avoid Bakersfield from AZ-CA?

Ah, but the barbecue at Willow Ranch restaurant in Buttonwillow (by I-5) is pretty darn good!

Reply to: Lodging option to avoid Bakersfield from AZ-CA?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted