We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cross country trip from NM to Central Coast

Which Bakersfield hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Albuquerque, New...
Destination Expert
for Albuquerque, New Mexico
reviews: 34
cross country trip from NM to Central Coast

We're planning another of our crazy, fast cross country trips from Albuquerque to Monterey during Christmas week. We always drove from Barstow to Bakersfield on 58, on to 5, and then on to Paso Robles and up. Would it make a lot more sense to take 233 aka Nat'l Purple Heart Trail aka Bear Mountain Blvd aka Arvin to 5?

Also, on past summertime trips (these are one-day dashes) we've found a spray park for the kids to get refreshed on our way. On this trip, any recommendations for quick bite (and even quick refueling?). Thanks.

17 replies to this topic
Albuquerque, New...
Destination Expert
11. Re: cross country trip from NM to Central Coast

I'll have to add more to my map. And you gave me good idea to check out Costcos along the way. There's one in south Bakersfield, I see. Thanks again.

Grover Beach, Ca
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
reviews: 3
12. Re: cross country trip from NM to Central Coast

If you're looking to get gas in Bakersfield, the closest Costco to the freeway is the one on Highway 58 (Rosedale Highway). You would take the Highway 58/Highway 178 off-ramp from Highway 99, make a left turn from the inside turn lane into the right lane. The Costco is about a half block from the freeway on the right.

To get back on the freeway northbound, drive back toward Highway 99 to Buck Owens Blvd (just past the overpass), turn left onto Buck Owns Blvd into the left lane to Sillect Ave where you'll see the northbound on ramp.

The SW Costco is at least 2 miles from the freeway and not as convenient.

Palmdale, California
Destination Expert
for California Desert
reviews: 44
13. Re: cross country trip from NM to Central Coast

No Costcos along the way west of Albuquerque 'til Bakersfield. I've checked. Kibblesmom just gave you the best Costco location in Bakersfield.

Sam's Club is located in Flagstaff off of Butler Avenue in back of the Taco Bell. Good pricing for gasoline there last time I looked.

Albuquerque, New...
Destination Expert
14. Re: cross country trip from NM to Central Coast

Perfect. Clear directions. Easy. Thanks again for everything.

San Francisco...
15. Re: cross country trip from NM to Central Coast

I am driving from NW to San Francisco. Where is an interesting place to stop for one night that will break the trip up and see an interesting place?

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
reviews: 42
16. Re: cross country trip from NM to Central Coast

Welcome to the forum Mimi. This is an old thread and best to open a new topic (ask a question). Where are you coming from exactly? NM? NW?

San Francisco...
17. Re: cross country trip from NM to Central Coast

New Mexico. Thanks!

Reply to: cross country trip from NM to Central Coast
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted