We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Highway 395

Which Bakersfield hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
reviews: 35
Highway 395

Hello, we are planning a trip to California in October. We'd like to go across from Highway 1 at san Simeon across to Highway 395 and then up north to Yosemite. What is the best route from San Simeon - and would anyone recommend route 178 from Bakerfield as part of the route? Also, is it fairly easy to find motels en route once on the 395?

(Jenny from England).

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
reviews: 42
11. Re: Highway 395

I always would make a reservation in case of a festival. Dow Villa is closest to the center of town and to the Movie Museum. We also stayed at the Best Western and Comfort Inn (formerly Alabama Hills Inn) . Both are good.

London, United...
reviews: 35
12. Re: Highway 395

Dear all - we have just returned from our trip. Your tips and advice were really helpful - we had a fantastic time. Highway 178 through Lake Isabella was marvellous, and 395 spectacular. We had snow on the mountain tops. We took up many of your suggestions - toured through the Alabama Hills; did the June Lakes loop with a hike to Parker Lake in the snow - luckily the Tioga Pass was still open and spectacular autumn snowy scenery.

I really appreciated the hospitalitty and friendliness of all the people we met - especially at the Visitor Centres in Lone Pine and June Lakes. Keep up the good work for all the other visitors who use this site! Jenny Kay.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
reviews: 42
13. Re: Highway 395

Thanks for the feed back Jenny. Glad you enjoyed your trip so much. You were very lucky you could drive up Tioga Pass with the fallcolors and the snow. Awesome!!

Tet

Palmdale, California
Destination Expert
for California Desert
reviews: 44
14. Re: Highway 395

Thank you Jenny for that very kind note. Yes, as you found out, hospitality and friendliness do exist here in tourist friendly California. . . especially at rural locations in scenic Lone Pine and June Lake. Natives like me learn from tourists like you on what you appreciated during your tour.

It would be a great favor if you would write up a Trip Report of your trip here at TripAdvisor. The report needn't be long or anything, but your reflections and experiences would be very valuable for travelers who might take the same kind of trip as you have done. I'd recommend you using the California state forum, which is found here: tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g28926-i29-Califor… You could title it "Highway 1, 178, and 395 Fall travels" in the subject/title line. . . up to you of course.

Thanks again for traveling and writing back to us.

Edited: 9:27 pm, October 23, 2011
15. Re: Highway 395

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, January 12, 2013