We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Live from August 15, 2014

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Stowe, Vermont
reviews: 56
Live from August 15, 2014

So far, it is great! We are in building 5, third floor, king bed. Just what I requested. Drinks are some of the most consistent and best of ANY AI so far. Service is spotty. Some is right on, others are totally clueless, and I mean clueless. Food is great, at least lunch at Mar y Tierra was wonderful. The room is on par with the Iberostar Grand. We paid half of what we paid for the Grand, so I am thrilled so far...

Clientele seems mixed. Ages are a range, and definitely more of a diverse mix than what I have seen at higher end AIs.

Beach is lively, and the pool is huge. There are quiet areas, and more lovely areas. An annoyance is the amount of space designated for privilege guests. Really quite a lot that goes unused. Also, pool tiles are very gross and moldy in places. Have another marg and you won't notice it!

217 replies to this topic
Washington DC
21. Re: Live from August 15, 2014

Sorry about your loss, hope it will turn up! I know how hard it is to part with your favorite items, not to mind the monetary value.

Could you please find out , if it's not too much trouble, if they have Baileys Irish cream at the bars? It's my favorite drink and would be a bit sad if they don't (we're going there the 2nd week of Oct). Hope you have a great rest of the trip!

Victoria, Canada
reviews: 70
22. Re: Live from August 15, 2014

GrassHouse - they do have Bailey's at the bars and you can even order it from the room service liquor menu by the Bottle for a charge of 550 pesos! While the resort coffee is very good, Baileys enhanced it at the breakfast buffets. Also ordered Frozen Baileys from the pool side wait staff. soo very tasty

Sassy - sure hope the person who took the bag is just holding onto it for you - waiting for you to return to the same spot? Okay, not likely but fingers crossed. Unfortunately, the mindset of some guests would be that it would never make it to Lost and Found. The VIM has a great system for logging lost items with Security. Hope someone gets a conscience and hands it in!

Edited: 4:00 pm, August 16, 2014
Erie, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Playa Paraiso
reviews: 25
23. Re: Live from August 15, 2014

Sassy- do they have Havana Club at all the bars? I know they didn't when they first opened but that's been a few years.

I hope your stuff gets turned in.

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya
reviews: 6
24. Re: Live from August 15, 2014

Actran - yes, they have Havana club at all the bars at the VIM (at least, all the ones I've been to, which is most of them!)

Dartmouth, Canada
reviews: 10
25. Re: Live from August 15, 2014

sassypantsgirl, can you please give a bit of a comparison of the beach area here as compared to the Ib Grand? (like, just overall how it looks, size, crowding, service - that kind of thing) Are you able to find a spot on the beach with no problems?

Toronto, Canada
26. Re: Live from August 15, 2014

If someone took your personal items... man, that stinks. I hope that's not the case.

The "ham like" description of the steak made me chuckle... and brought back memories of EPM.

I'm glad you seem to be having (overall) a good time :)

Victoria, Canada
reviews: 70
27. Re: Live from August 15, 2014

Champagne - you are so very right about that. Ever since this thread about the meat texture that is exactly what I thought of. At my last EPM visit the meat had that gelatinous texture. I think it was brined?!

Stowe, Vermont
reviews: 56
28. Re: Live from August 15, 2014

I did not see any Grey Goose at the pool bar.

Yes, all the Havanas, including Seite.

Yes to Bailey's.

The pool has an area that is loud, and a couple of games per day, and the same Zumba song like four times a day. The other area of the pool is quiet. There is a pool bar in each area.

Night entertainment, I don't know. I went to bed early last night because I had only had three hours of sleep the night before, and a bunch of margaritas.

The beach is about as wide as the Grand, but much longer. The water is a very pretty blue. That is where the similarities end between the two resorts. They could not be further apart.

The biggest con here is the amount of space at the pool and beach set aside for privilege guests. It really is ridiculous. I have a major pet peeve when a resort makes you pay more a chair in the shade. The rest of us at the pool have to settle for limited communal shaded areas. The beach does have palapas with two chairs that are not privilege, but you do need to grab one in the morning.

Service here varies greatly. Greatly. Lunch at Mar y Tierra both days was the worst service I have had at any AI. Dinner last night was great, up until the whole waiver thing. Drink service at the pool is very good.

Dartmouth, Canada
reviews: 10
29. Re: Live from August 15, 2014

-so I take it when you say this "The beach is about as wide as the Grand, but much longer. The water is a very pretty blue. That is where the similarities end between the two resorts. They could not be further apart."

you are saying that VIM cannot be compared to the Ib Grand?

Toronto, Canada
30. Re: Live from August 15, 2014

Victoriabound,

"I think it was brined?!"

Maybe! I remember biting into my chicken at the Indian restaurant and thinking "The texture is .... interesting."

Reply to: Live from August 15, 2014
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Playa del Secreto