We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Live from August 15, 2014

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Stowe, Vermont
reviews: 56
Live from August 15, 2014

So far, it is great! We are in building 5, third floor, king bed. Just what I requested. Drinks are some of the most consistent and best of ANY AI so far. Service is spotty. Some is right on, others are totally clueless, and I mean clueless. Food is great, at least lunch at Mar y Tierra was wonderful. The room is on par with the Iberostar Grand. We paid half of what we paid for the Grand, so I am thrilled so far...

Clientele seems mixed. Ages are a range, and definitely more of a diverse mix than what I have seen at higher end AIs.

Beach is lively, and the pool is huge. There are quiet areas, and more lovely areas. An annoyance is the amount of space designated for privilege guests. Really quite a lot that goes unused. Also, pool tiles are very gross and moldy in places. Have another marg and you won't notice it!

217 replies to this topic
bemidji minnesota
reviews: 20
1. Re: Live from August 15, 2014

Sassy is at the Valentin Imperial Maya (?) I think. :)

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya
reviews: 6
2. Re: Live from August 15, 2014

Oh, I'm SOOOOO happy things are off to a good start! I know you're used to resorts that I'd typically consider superior to the VIM (and priced accordingly) so, I'll admit, I was a bit worried about how the VIM would match up to your previous experiences.

Now, fingers crossed that the inconsistent service gets better and that the weather stays great for you too!

Stowe, Vermont
3. Re: Live from August 15, 2014

Lisa,

The VIM is a terrific value! Shhh, don't tell anyone :)

Johnstown...
4. Re: Live from August 15, 2014

Hope things stay good for the rest of the week. VIM an be a great value.

Grand Junction...
reviews: 39
5. Re: Live from August 15, 2014

It sounds great so far!

Surprise, Arizona
6. Re: Live from August 15, 2014

Thank you for taking time out to educate and inform.

Grand Junction...
reviews: 39
7. Re: Live from August 15, 2014

Sassy, or any other VIM regulars, does VIM only have buffets for breakfast and lunch?

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya
reviews: 6
8. Re: Live from August 15, 2014

BeachWanderer - I've been to the VIM 5 times and my experience is that they can't make up their minds!

Dinner, for sure, is all a la carte except for a couple of times a week when they have the Mexican and Caribbean buffets and themed entertainment.

Le Marche offers and extensive breakfast buffet and you have the option of dining in AC if you prefer. At Mar Tierra, on some of our visits they've offered an a la carte breakfast but not on others. Mar Tierra is NOT air conditioned but they do have tables on the deck/patio.

Lunch is the same as breakfast - great buffet at Le Marche, sometimes a smaller buffet at Mar Tierra and sometimes it's a la carte. On occasions, it's been both - you can order a la carte if you wish or you can eat from the buffet.

i have no idea if occupancy rates have any bearing on buffet versus a la carte.

Stowe, Vermont
9. Re: Live from August 15, 2014

Dinner tonight at the French restaurant. It was very good, and very prompt service. The steak had a bit of a funky texture,I can't really put my finger on it.... Not chewy exactly.

Here's the kicker. It is my husband's birthday. We ordered dessert. It never came for either one of us. The waiter finally told us he was waiting for a waiver for my husband to sign, since he ordered something on the menu to which he might be allergic, since he had indicated he couldn't eat dairy.

The dessert they prepared for him was ready. The waiver he needed to sign was not.

WTH? I didn't get MY dessert either. We told the waiter thanks, but no thanks and left after 20 minutes of waiting for dessert.

Major fail.

Bloomfield...
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya, Yucatan Peninsula
reviews: 76
10. Re: Live from August 15, 2014

We had same experience at French last year. Great dinner but dessert took forever, so we gave up.

Enjoy the rest of your trip....can't wait to keep reading your updates.

Reply to: Live from August 15, 2014
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Playa del Secreto