We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flooding in Algonquin Park

Which Algonquin Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto
Flooding in Algonquin Park

There have been a few threads recently by people planning to visit Algonquin Provincial Park this spring, so I thought I'd draw some attention to the flooding that happened in the park this weekend: algonquinpark.on.ca/news/2013/2013-04-19_flo… And a special bulletin about the suspension of backcountry camping reservations: algonquinpark.on.ca/news/2013/2013-04-22_spe…

To help interpret that info for those not familiar with the area: Highway 60 itself, the main corridor through the busiest part of the park, does not seem to have been impacted. However, many of the access roads that branch off Hwy 60, as well as some trails, campgrounds, and canoe route access points, were flooded or washed out and are currently closed. Same goes for roads accessing the east side of the park and the more remote access points. Some trails etc that are right on Hwy 60 have not been impacted.

I'll post an update if updates are made available (I'll be checking since it affects me personally). People planning to use some of the affected facilities in the near future should contact the park to ask about them specifically.

My personal guess -- not based on any insider knowledge -- is that the trails themselves should re-open soon as flood waters recede, but some of the washed out roads could take longer to repair. I'm particularly concerned about Lake Opeongo Road, since the picture of it on the linked page shows severe damage. Not sure how bad things are for Rock Lake Road, which accesses the Centennial Ridges trail among other things. Hopefully the Mizzy Lake Trail will be open soon if water levels go down -- while technically it is accessed by the Arowhon Road, which is badly damaged farther up, the trailhead is practically right on Hwy 60.

Anyone who was planning to access Lake Opeongo this spring (including the Hailstorm Creek tour) might want to follow the blog of Algonquin Outfitters, http://algonquinoutfitters.com/blog/ . Since much of these guys's business depends on access to Lake Opeongo, I'm sure they'll make it known when hope is in sight for the road.

Toronto
1. Re: Flooding in Algonquin Park

Already some progress. Some of the more lightly-damaged access roads are expected to re-open this weekend (see the first link in my above post). Less officially, there's talk of work starting this week to span the washout on Opeongo Road, such that a bridge could be in place by middle of next week at the very earliest. Maybe things will get back to normal sooner than I thought.

Burlington, Canada
reviews: 29
2. Re: Flooding in Algonquin Park

They said today that even though more rain is expected the rivers have peaked and will now begin to slowly recede.

West Bloomfield...
Destination Expert
for Algonquin Park
reviews: 105
3. Re: Flooding in Algonquin Park

My guess is that where these 2 roads washed out over small creeks that the Army or Highway division will bring in temporary spans. These washouts are very minor compared to the fire in August 1999 which destroyed the Smoke Creek Bridge over Highway 60 about a mile before the Portage Store causing a 100 mile detour to reach the West side of Highway 60 from the East side. Smoke Creek appears to be at least 100 meters wide and according to reports of that incident which I was able to Google they put up a temporary Bailey Bridge after a short period of time until the new one was constructed.

Oshawa, Ontario...
4. Re: Flooding in Algonquin Park

I'm at Riverland Lodge campground Hwy 60/Madawaska Rd area. How does it look ?

West Bloomfield...
Destination Expert
for Algonquin Park
reviews: 105
5. Re: Flooding in Algonquin Park

The flooding situation is updated on the Algonquin Park website as of today.

www.algonquinpark.on.ca/

You could also call the park office at 613.637.2888 with questions about any specific area.

Oshawa, Ontario...
6. Re: Flooding in Algonquin Park

Many thanx!

Huntsville, Canada
7. Re: Flooding in Algonquin Park

Hello everyone,

The Opeongo road has been repaired and is fully functional as of last Friday (May 3). The permit office and store are operating at their normal hours (from 7am-6pm daily). Reports from Friday and Saturday are that the trout fishing is excellent so far.

Happy Travels!

Dawn Huddlestone

Social Media Manager

Algonquin Outfitters

Toronto
8. Re: Flooding in Algonquin Park

Wow, that was quick, I thought that road would take a while. Glad you guys are on the forums. If you could ask the trout to hold shallow until victoria day that would be great, thanks.

9. Re: Flooding in Algonquin Park

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, May 08, 2014