We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

No more gorilla permits at 350$ ?????????

Kampala
reviews: 14
No more gorilla permits at 350$ ?????????

Some one from UWA told me the 350$ for gorilla permit during low season, was just a promotion fee and it ended.

Was the promotion for newly habituated gorilla families?

I understand that all gorilla permits for both low and high seasons cost 500$.

Isle of Man, United...
reviews: 188
1. Re: No more gorilla permits at 350$ ?????????

Whilst it was always a "promotion for low season" it was a strange way of doing it. I would think if numbers were low the chances of getting a few discounted Permits would still be there. Or maybe some rascally Agents have bought them all up in the hope of getting more business in the low season? It has been known.

Kampala
2. Re: No more gorilla permits at 350$ ?????????

When I called UWA to book 6 gorilla permits for the month of April at 350US$, I was assured of their availability at 500USD each.

Perhaps the hiking of Rwanda's permits has had an impact on Uganda's gorilla permits.

Isle of Man, United...
3. Re: No more gorilla permits at 350$ ?????????

Could be.

Kampala
Destination Expert
for Kampala
reviews: 66
4. Re: No more gorilla permits at 350$ ?????????

When I went into UWA in November to enquire about this, they told me it was for certain random days only, not for blocks of weeks.

Stone Town, Tanzania
reviews: 42
5. Re: No more gorilla permits at 350$ ?????????

I just recently read somewhere on internet that permits will increase from 500 usd to 750 USD

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
reviews: 65
6. Re: No more gorilla permits at 350$ ?????????

We deliberately booked for May because of this and then ended up having to pay $500 as well - I have seen some tour operators still promoting the $350 rate on their websites but our tour operator (Churchill) initially was hopeful they would get them but in the end couldn't. :(

Kampala
7. Re: No more gorilla permits at 350$ ?????????

ninna i too head about it at the begining of 2011 but the Tour operators decampaigned it .

As long as I know, UWA comes up with the final conservation fees to all protected Areas after consulting some Tour operators.

The recent one UWA release was in July.2011 and will work upto June 2013

May be the gorilla permit fee will rise after June.2013.

I know for this year it will be 500$ per permit

Isle of Man, United...
8. Re: No more gorilla permits at 350$ ?????????

uganda and ninna. Thanks for that information. I too heard it in 2011 and posted it on here only to be corrected later for being "wrong!"

I cannot see UWA staying out of line with Rwanda for long. If sales continue in Rwanda at $750 then Uganda will follow. However if sales fall off then they may re think the idea.

This is no doubt why they have pulled the Promo price already.

San Francisco...
reviews: 93
9. Re: No more gorilla permits at 350$ ?????????

There is an article on Uganda travel in this month's Lonely Planet Magazine or Afar Magazine (can't remember which one) and I think they quotes gorilla permits at $750. Perhaps they had wrong information? We got ours for $500 too.

Isle of Man, United...
10. Re: No more gorilla permits at 350$ ?????????

Still available at $350 for certain months.