We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How fit do you need to be to do Gorilla trek?

Hong Kong, China
reviews: 12
How fit do you need to be to do Gorilla trek?

OK - so booked my trek and safari after freinds who'd done it said that it wasn't difficult and no problem.

I'm not fit... I'm going in 10 days and have just started checking websites etc and it seems its very hard going. I'd taken the advice at face value.

How tough is it - as I'm quite worried about it now?

Thanks

Isle of Man, United...
reviews: 222
1. Re: How fit do you need to be to do Gorilla trek?

Do not worry. Anybody who can put one leg in front of the other for a few hours can do this. The Trackers/guides will walk at the pace of the slowest.

Generally the walk in is steep but not desperately so. Just keep taking a breather.

It can vary of course depending on which group you are allocated to. but the guides take good care of you.

Do 'hire' a personal assistant who will help you. Accept a stick too. Even fit folks should do this as it provides income for the Village.

Try to do some exercise between now and going. Every bit helps.

Good luck.

Hong Kong, China
2. Re: How fit do you need to be to do Gorilla trek?

Thank You Mfuwe - I was getting quite stressed! And yes am now exercising morning and night in last ditched effort!

Isle of Man, United...
3. Re: How fit do you need to be to do Gorilla trek?

Have a great time, I am sure you will make it.

uganda
reviews: 7
4. Re: How fit do you need to be to do Gorilla trek?

hi which group are you trekking? for most enjoyment try and get some walking in every day before you go. the treks can sometimes be strenuous but most people make it but the idea is to enjoy the walk as well. conditions can vary wildly if its dry its easier and if its pelting down harder. if youre worried at all take a porter they wont be with you while you view the gorillas but will get you to and from the forest and carry your bags. two litres of water and you stuff can be heavy in a rinforest! try and do an hour a day walk untill you leave and post when you get back how you found it. some walks are more difficult than others i would rate nshongi and mishaya as generally the harder walks followed by Nkuringo then Rhuijia and buhoma together thats my personal view anyway.

My tips take the walking stick offered, take the porter, if your nackered stop its not a race and others from the group will generally thank you for it, walk in your boots before travel, take lots of water, long sleeves, long pants, tuck long socks over pants to stop the ants crawling up your legs, talk to your guides they are a fountain of knowlege. gardening gloves can be useful no not to garden just so you can clamber around. Try to stop and take in the rest of the forest, let the guided know you are interested in the birdlife (occasional extra stop). breathe in and remember where you are.....amazing!

happy trails dont worry just enjoy!

Hong Kong, China
5. Re: How fit do you need to be to do Gorilla trek?

Thank You both! Busy packing now to head of to the airport in a couple of hours!

Isle of Man, United...
6. Re: How fit do you need to be to do Gorilla trek?

Have a good trip and come back safe to tell us all about it.

My best wishes to Mama K at Churchill..

san francisco
reviews: 6
7. Re: How fit do you need to be to do Gorilla trek?

Is it possibly rainy and muddy any time of year for gorilla trekking? We are going in June, I am wondering whether to pack my hiking boots, given that we'll use them for gorilla trekking only. Yet I can't imagine hiking in shoes. After that we'll have three weeks lugging them around in our suitcase (backpack) on safari.

What about the weight limits for internal air carriers (Coastal, RwandAir)?

We're also thinking of bringing our own walking sticks (telescoping, perfect for for us, we're used to them).

Bill

Isle of Man, United...
8. Re: How fit do you need to be to do Gorilla trek?

It can and does rain at any time of year in the Mountains so the trails can be muddy one day and dry the next.

Proper footwear is a must. Ankle support from boots is a great help against twisted ankles and of course the grip from vibram soles really helps too. Boots also tend to keep your feet dry.

Forget your Trekking Poles. As both SafariW and I say above, borrow/hire a stout staff from the local porters. Less to lug around and it gives them an economic benefit from the Gorillas. Long pants tucked into long Socks are good protection. (You will have seen some wry comments directed at my Safari dress on other fora. Do I care? I am comfortable in my boots etc.,)

Mine don't go in my backpack. They are on my feet where they belong! Even on the plane. (They never weigh my feet!)

uganda
reviews: 7
9. Re: How fit do you need to be to do Gorilla trek?

yep its a rainforest you shouldnt regret the hiking boots it can be pelting down at any time of the year and if it rains in there it can be slippery. also useful on chimpanzee trek and any forest walks you may be doing. that said it will probabaly be sunshiny and dry on the day you go just because we advised you to bring the boots if so the beers on me! also june freezing cold in mornings and night you may be happy for the toasty feet. dont forget a good fleece and light rainjacket for morning game drives and gorilla trekking and nights up iin the mountains

Mfue... own your look proudly ...at least your not the one stripping off your pants in the middle of a chimpanzee treck because you have red ants in your pants...... seen that more than once on people with short socks who rejected the rangers briefing advice!

Isle of Man, United...
10. Re: How fit do you need to be to do Gorilla trek?

wildz,

It was hot and sunny last time I trekked. Where do I collect my Beer?

Red Ants. I know just what you mean. Only my lot were in bed with us at 2 a.m. Not a restful morning!