We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

We are looking for a private tour company for africa

Pensacola, Florida
We are looking for a private tour company for africa

We are 7 adults that will be going to africa at the end of october to november for a 16 day trip. Who do you recommend as a private tour company with accomodations that are premium and where do you recommend that we go?

38 replies to this topic
Alsace, France
reviews: 73
1. Re: We are looking for a private tour company for africa

I can thoroughly recommend http://www.heritage-eastafrica.com/ .

They organised my niece's wedding at the Rift Valley Lodge at Naivasha and offered extension trips to Masaai Mara and to the coast .... they HAVE accommodation in Lamu, but it depends on what your insurance will cover as to whether you consider it wise to go there.

I am sure that they will be able to offer you a holiday that you will remember for ever for the right reasons.

Leeds
reviews: 2
2. Re: We are looking for a private tour company for africa

Hello

If by Africa you mean Kenya or at least a visit to Kenya, then 16 days is a good length of time to visit most places. Can you advise what exactly you would like to do, see or experience? E.g. safaris, beaches etc.

In terms of who to book with, its best to email a few companies to determine the average price for the safari you want. This is what I did before visiting for the first time last year and then opted for Glorious Safaris.

We've booked with them twice now so would recommend dropping them a line - shadrack@glorioussafaris.com. They've plenty of reviews on here:

tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g294210-…

and also you will get a private safari, just you in the vehicle. As with most other companies.

Winchester, United...
reviews: 27
3. Re: We are looking for a private tour company for africa

Hi we have just done this safari;

severin-kenya.com/cms/upload/pdf/Doc-0048-SS…

we booked direct with severin in Germany.

It was amazing (we got married at Tsavo West)

All the lodges were beautiful and you could see Kili from Tsavo West and from your bed in the lodge at Amboseli!!we lay in bed at night with your hot water bottles looking at the moon shining on top of Kili we also saw over a 1000 elephants within 40 minutes of entering Amboseli National Park

We stayed at the Severin Sea Lodge for a couple of days then did the safari then back to the lodge for 4 days for R&R. It was perfect.

you could add on the Mara and other nearby parks after, the safari was run by Southern Cross Safaris but it was cheaper to go through Severin!!!

Winchester, United...
4. Re: We are looking for a private tour company for africa

severin-kenya.com/cms/upload/pdf/Doc-0048-SS…

sorry this link should work

Leeds
reviews: 2
5. Re: We are looking for a private tour company for africa

Hey princess001

Looks a nice package. How much did that itin cost and were private game drives included?

Thanks.

Winchester, United...
6. Re: We are looking for a private tour company for africa

Hi LEEDS_MAD

I think we paid around £2400 each that was with flights that we independently booked think they were £560 UK to Mombasa return and the wedding which was around £250 each so around £1600 for the 2 weeks. the lodges were amazing. There were just the 2 of us and our 2 friends from USA that came to be our witnesses at the wedding in the vehicle. I think if there are 2 people you can get a vehicle to yourself. Our driver / guide Sammy was great at tracking. We sat and watched for 2 hours a lioness that had chased a baby baboon into a water hole, it was treading water, the lioness would walk around the other side of the waterhole and pretend to lose interest so the baby would make a run for it, it did this 4 times, the adult baboons were going crazy. on the 5th try all the adult baboons came to the rescue and the baby tried to run and climb a tree but he was so cold but a adult male picked him up and run up the tree. Baby baboon saved. I had no finger nails left by the time it was all over. Sammy never rushed us, always asked if we were ready to move on and had a cold beer for us when we went to the waterhole to watch the sun go down. Perfect.

Boston...
reviews: 23
7. Re: We are looking for a private tour company for africa

If you are interested in East Africa, you should check out Odyssey Safaris. We did an 8 day safari with them last month and were very pleased with all aspects. Can't imagine better staff. The accomodations were great and we received excellent service. They have a detailed website. Good luck.

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
reviews: 3
8. Re: We are looking for a private tour company for africa

Whilst other forum members will recount 1st hand experience & give recommendations, below is a comprehensive list of KATO Members with web links that you might want to contact.

http://www.katokenya.org/katomembers.asp

As you have a 16 days to do a tour, these places are a MUST to visit (in that order):

Sweetwaters (2D); Nakuru(2D), Mara (2/3D), Amboseli (2/3D, Tsavo East (2/3D & Mombasa (??D)

Optional - Samburu (too far) & Naivasha (tranquil lakeside town (O/N before heading to Mara)

Indianapolis...
reviews: 7
9. Re: We are looking for a private tour company for africa

We just returned from Kenya with a group of 15. I did some checking on trip advisor and happened upon the name of a guide named Simon. I had several email exchanges with him and he was always quick to respond and gave wonderful service. We were just using him for 2 full days to arrange transportation and siteseeing while in Nairobi.

After meeting him I wish we would have arranged our safari though him. He was wonderful in every way. We always felt safe and had easy access to contact him while there. My husband and I stayed a few extra days and Simon arranged for a smaller car for the two of us which was $35 for the day. This included a driver, gas, and the car to go wherever we wanted.

We also used Simon to get us back and forth to the airport. The bus accommodated all 15 of us and cost $200 for the entire day of 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. which was a great price. We always felt safe and he was great about making sure we saw all there was to see on our time schedule.

You can reach Simon at:

Dawn In Africa Safaris

info@dawnsafaris.co.ke

www.dawnsafaris.co.ke

Mobile: (+254) 723376460 (+254) 788230082

I am not on Trip advisor very often so feel free to email me at kellie@apologia.com should you want further information. He was fantastic!

Thanks!

nairobi
reviews: 4
10. Re: We are looking for a private tour company for africa

Check out in KATO website, though some other good and reputable companies may not be members. Heritage hotels is a good choice, and they have camps in the parks( Masai Mara, Samburu) and beach still, in Mombasa and Lamu.

The best option will be to send a couple of mails to various local companies here in Kenya, and compare quotes and they will also be in a better position to advise you on the type of camps/lodges to stay to suit your preference.

My friends agent i Africa Calling safaris.www.africacalling.co.ke. and have never had issues.

Reply to: We are looking for a private tour company for africa
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Mount Kenya National...