We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Never go to Texarkana . . .

Which Texarkana hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New Orleans
reviews: 1
Never go to Texarkana . . .

We are evacuees from New Orleans. We are white, and even we were treated rudely by just about everyone in Texarkana. A few people were nice but for the most part this was the worst place we have visited in the United States. After two cross-country trips, this town of Taxarkana is the worst place we have ever visted. People were rude even though they knew we may have lost everything. We went to a couple bars and a restaurant and met with nothing but rudeness.

Never go to Texarkana.

1. Re: Never go to Texarkana . . .

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:11 pm, October 24, 2005
Texarkana
2. Re: Never go to Texarkana . . .

I'm sorry to hear you are having a negative response here in Texarkana. I have traveled all over the world with the military and find comfort here at home. I am not going to say that it was coincidence that you have meet all the rude people in town but I will say that generally speaking, Texarkana is a very down to earth, friendly people who would give the shirt off their backs to anyone in need. I hope things improve for you and that you leave this town with a smile on your face.

Hooks, Texas
reviews: 101
3. Re: Never go to Texarkana . . .

Funney you had this experience. There has been LOTS of thanks you in the paper from evacuees for the treatment they received in Texarkana. I know for a fact that many of the restaurants gave discounted meals to evacuees. There was free meals offered for several months from local churchs and organizations. I worked a shelter and have never seen the outpouring of supplies. I have personally heard and saw people buying evacuees meals and supplies at local stores. My husand's fire dept chipped in and provided lunch for free. Personally I have never been so proud of our community and the outpuring of care and concern they showed. Maybe it was your attitude that needed adjusting. We'll keep our head held high because we know we went above and beyond the call when the chips were down.

Texarkana Arkansas
reviews: 3
4. Re: Never go to Texarkana . . .

A little late for this reply, but for anyone that pulls up this post, My family evacuated to Texarkana during Hurricane Rita. We loved this area so much and felt so warmly received that we ended up moving here. We have nothing but positive comments about this area. I had the opportunity to be in contact with many Hurricane victims, mostly Katrina, that were all looking for more than anyone could truly give. Perhaps your expectations were high and that influenced your feelings. I hope that you have found an area that you feel is receptive to you.

Texarkana Texas
5. Re: Never go to Texarkana . . .

I Live in Texarkana and i am truly sorry for the way you were treated please don't judge all of us with the rudeness you recived i would never treat someone like that and i truly hope God will bless ya'll in every way possable But i have to agree with you that in the most part Texarkana is a very rude place but not all of us are like that, Please accept my apolgy and God Bless you. :) my e-mail address is june75501@yahoo.com please feel free to contact me just for some kind words of hope.

Manchester, United...
reviews: 10
6. Re: Never go to Texarkana . . .

Well we were thinking of coming to Texarkana during our road trip next may. We have been well recieved in most of the south and love coming to the states but would hate for Texarkana to spoil it.

Ward, AR
7. Re: Never go to Texarkana . . .

If there was something in particular you wanted to do in Texarkana, I wouldn't let one or 2 posts dissuade you. You can run into rude people anywhere, and it could also be the frame of mind the original poster was in. When you're dealing with a lot of stress like that, you tend to be a little touchier about even the smallest of things. The original poster didn't even give specifics about what had happened. Not sure where you're route is taking you, but if you truly don't want to go to Texarkana, consider another town. Hot Springs is on way between Texarkana and Little Rock. it is a very nice town, many things to do, and very recommended. It has made several of the top ten lists of towns (lists seen in different magazines and internet travel articles) in this nation to visit. hotsprings.org/things_to_do

Eureka Springs is another nice town (in northern part of state though) that gets good reviews. eurekasprings.com

Manchester, United...
8. Re: Never go to Texarkana . . .

Hi Flame70

Thanks for that. We will look at your idea's. We only wanted to go to Texarkana to go to the post office, it's supposed to be part in TX & part in AR. Just a fun thing really.(my wife wants to step into TX) We will be coming up from NOLA and after Texarkana, probably call in on LR before heading to Memphis.

I'm sure we will be pleased with our visit to Texarkana, we have never felt unwelcome anywhere in the states, and believe me, we have been to plenty of places.

So, thanks again, look forward to seeing y'all next year.

Ward, AR
9. Re: Never go to Texarkana . . .

it is a nice looking post office. good photo op. here's a link to a picture of it: users.aristotle.net/~russjohn/tkana.html

if you're coming thru Little Rock, here's a couple of links with things of interest to see while here: shdweb.com/lodging/hotelinfo/9167.html

bigdambridge.com

here's a link with a picture of "the old mill" that was in the opening scene of 'Gone With the Wind', which is in North Little Rock off of W. McCain Blvd. sedc.org/registrationb.pdf it's a nicely kept up mill in a park setting with pretty plantings of flowers and a lake next to it that is used for fishing. it is also home to ducks, geese and a couple of egrets. very picturesque and worth a photo stop.

Happy travels!!

Manchester, United...
10. Re: Never go to Texarkana . . .

Thankyou.

Because of you and all your input, we WILL be visiting Texarkana.

We will check out all the links you suggest.

Once again thanks

Take care

Get answers to your questions about Texarkana