We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiking Near Russellville, Arkansas?

Which Russellville hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
6 posts
Hiking Near Russellville, Arkansas?

I'm thinking about visiting Russellville, Arkansas this fall and just wanted to know where are the best views in the area, in terms of natural views (like views of mountains, waterfalls, or wildlife, etc.). Any ideas would be really helpful. I like to be amazed by the beauty of nature.

8 replies to this topic
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,299 posts
25 reviews
1. Re: Hiking Near Russellville, Arkansas?

There are tons of hiking trails and areas in both the Ouachita and Ozark Mountains in western Arkansas -- national park areas, national river areas, national forests, state parks, etc.

The Ozark Highlands Trail crosses Arkansas Highway 7 north of Russellville at Fairview Campground, and covers roughly 220 miles in total, from Lake Fort Smith on the west end to Norfolk on the east end. More info at: http://ozarkhighlandstrail.com/trail-map/

Almost all of Newton County is scenic, rugged, and remote (the county seat/largest town, Jasper, has less than 450 people). The Buffalo and Little Buffalo Rivers cross the county resulting in some impressive bluffs, canyons, and other spots with elevation changes of nearly 2000 feet.

South of the Arkansas River, in the Ouachita Mountains, are Mount Nebo, Mount Magazine (highest point in Arkansas, just under 3000 ft), and Petit Jean Mountain state parks, all of which have extensive hiking trails and scenic views. And of course just an hour or so south of Russellville is Hot Springs National Park (the first area of the U.S. to be set aside under protection by the national government, though not the first to be designated a "national park") which also has plentiful hiking and sightseeing opportunities.

little rock arkansas
Destination Expert
for Little Rock, Arkansas
Level Contributor
3,264 posts
275 reviews
2. Re: Hiking Near Russellville, Arkansas?

I agree in all respect with the previous poster. My first choice in hiking and views when Russellville is mentioned is my old favorite State Park, Mt Nebo.

www.arkansasstateparks.com/mountnebo/

Russellville...
10 posts
3. Re: Hiking Near Russellville, Arkansas?

With regard to natural views, there is a place called Penhook Hollow, just north of Hector, which is just approx. 30 minutes away. At Penhook Hollow you will find hiking trails and excellent views, including waterfalls and an abundance of wildlife. Penhook Hollow is truly a hidden gem, most people around here, don't even know about it. Take a look at some of photos at the following website:

zackandrews.com/2011/05/25/penhook-hollow/

In addition, since you mentioned an interest in wildlife, you may want to check out Riddle's Elephant and Wildlife Sanctuary while you're in Arkansas. It's something unique, direct contact with elephants.

http://www.elephantsanctuary.org

As mentioned by others, Mount Magazine and Mount Nebo are both near Russellville. Both locations provide excellent natural views of Arkansas and numerous hiking trails. Russellville has always been a good central location for the many outdoor activities in the area and the great natural views.

You're going to love Arkansas. Enjoy your trip!

Ward, AR
Level Contributor
878 posts
10 reviews
4. Re: Hiking Near Russellville, Arkansas?

For the best views, near where you will be, you must do the North Rim Trail at Mount Nebo. It's a great hike with very nice rimtop views for a good portion of the hike. mountmagazinestatepark.com/things-to-do/trai…

Petit Jean State Park has Cedar Falls. This is a nice hike down to the falls. The waterfall is somewhere around 97' tall. petitjeanstatepark.com/things_to_do/trails/c…

Windcrest, TX
3 posts
5. Re: Hiking Near Russellville, Arkansas?

Devils Den is beautiful. You can rent cabins and the hike is 15 mi moderate.... I did it once in 6.5 hrs. hahaha

Windcrest, TX
3 posts
6. Re: Hiking Near Russellville, Arkansas?

I agree. i am moving back with a 3 yr plan.... to hike the A.T.

Windcrest, TX
3 posts
7. Re: Hiking Near Russellville, Arkansas?

If anyone wants to get together and hike, I will be available after June 7th

London, Ar, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
9 reviews
8. Re: Hiking Near Russellville, Arkansas?

Beginners or people with limited time should consider short trails around Russellville that are ideal for people who just have an hour or less. The Bona Dea park is the best - it is a series of looping trails that start short and can go as long as 3.5 miles, with several shortcuts to double back. The trail is paved and about 12 feet wide, it is flat and smooth enough for baby strollers, walking, fast walking, and bike ridding without getting in anyone's way. The best part is that it's out of the wind and totally in the trees with almost no direct sun. You can drive there, park, run or hike for an hour and go home or back to work everyday.

The have two new trails of the same quality, but much shorter - each is about 1/4 mile long. Both are on the western shores of the Illinois Bayou - one on the north side in the city park and the other is at the boat ramp on the north side of the cause way on the London side.

There are not intended for serious daytime hikes where you need to pack food and water. They are for exercise and just stretching your legs and/or building up your strength for longer hikes.

Reply to: Hiking Near Russellville, Arkansas?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Russellville
More Russellville Topics