I spent about 3 days in Petra. I've already done a trip report on the Jordan forum, thought it would be a good idea to have one for the Petra forum too. So here it is:
My blog page with pictures …wordpress.com/my-travels-2/…
Things to Do & Highlights of Petra:
1. Petra By Night(get there before the crowds)
2. Umm Al Biyara Hike( go in the late afternoon)
3. Hike up the Al-Kutbha Trail(Go early in the morning)
4. The Monastery(stay till the sun has gone down quite a bit)
6. Walking through the Siq canyon(go early early in the morning)
7. Caves infront of the Theatre.
8. Visit Shobak Castle.
Accommodation: Valentine Inn. A good budget choice, merely 4 JD for an acceptable dorm bed, with a fantastic terrace(brilliant view), good breakfast(2.5 JD), a decent buffet dinner(5 JD), free transit everyday to Petra(7 AM and 8 AM) and Petra by night. However, it’s slightly uphill, and if you miss the shuttle, you need to get a taxi. So stay here only if you have a low budget, otherwise get a place close to site itself. And the packed lunch is not enough, you are better off getting food at the site.
My 3 Day Itinerary:
Day 0: Getting to Petra, taxi to Shobak Castle and back and Petra by Night.
Day 1: Treasury, Tombs, Monastery, Turkmaniya Road and dinner at a local home.
Day 2: Al-Kutbha Trail and Umm Al Biyara hike.
Day 3: High Place of Sacrifice and Royal Tombs, caves.