We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

guide at restaurant area

Which Petra - Wadi Musa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Aventura, Florida
reviews: 16
guide at restaurant area

We would like to go to the High Place of Sacrifice early in the morning one of our days in Petra and I have two questions.

Do the donkeys take visitors up that trail?

Is it likely we can get a guide who has finished with his clients to start at the restaurant area and take us back toward the Treasurery?

Thanks for the help.

8 replies to this topic
Petra
reviews: 12
1. Re: guide at restaurant area

Yes donkeys go up that trail, it's pretty steep near the end though.

I think you would have to be or extremely patient or extremely lucky to find a guide that way but you could try, in that case I would wait near Qasr al Bint (the large free standing monument just before you reach the restaurant on the left side) if I were you.

Patricia (Petra B&B)

Fontainebleau
Destination Expert
for Petra - Wadi Musa
reviews: 2
2. Re: guide at restaurant area

I also doubt very much if any guide would accept this - his colleagues would certainly take it badly.

Aventura, Florida
3. Re: guide at restaurant area

Thanks for the replies.

Is that because he would get an extra tour out of rotation?

Could it be arranged at the ticket office in advance for a guide to meet us at a certain time and do the tour backwards?

Are private licensed guides able to come into the site without paying an entry fee?

I was also under the impression that if you had a guide one day and like him/her you could arrange for the same guide for the next day.

Edited: 11:00 am, June 30, 2014
Fontainebleau
Destination Expert
for Petra - Wadi Musa
4. Re: guide at restaurant area

1. Yes, of course. If somebody does this, it might mean that another guide doesn't get any work that day.

2. Possibly, the best way would be to arrange this with the guide and let him square the office. But whyever not take the guide from the beginning of the day - the price would be the same. Nobody is going to discount a guiding fee!

3. Yes, licensed guides do not pay entry fees, they turn back a bit of their guiding fees to the office.

4. Yes, this is not a problem. You can also sign up with a guide outside Petra, in the village or in your hotel, and arrange for him to meet you.

Aventura, Florida
5. Re: guide at restaurant area

Perhaps I am not understanding the fees for the guides. The only place I found the prices for guides listed was on the JordanJubilee website

4 hours To the museum 50JD

Day To the Monastery (El Deir) and the lower "city" 70JD

Full day Including the High Place, the Monastery and the lower "city" 150JD

We expect to do everything within the site over two days. We want to go to the HIgh Place of Sacrifice early in the morning, so the first day planned to use various means of transport to get there as early as possible and thought we would only need a guide once we descend and begin exploring the structures (starting at Qasr el-Bint). We would go as far as our energy allowed. The second day we would go later and start exploring at the Treasury, continuing until we have seen everything we missed the first day and stop at the restaurant before going up to the monastery in the late afternoon.

Edited: 3:54 pm, June 30, 2014
Fontainebleau
Destination Expert
for Petra - Wadi Musa
6. Re: guide at restaurant area

If I understand you, you think (hope) the guide would charge less if he doesn't take you to the High Place?

I can only say, Try it and see.....

Edited: 4:22 pm, June 30, 2014
Odense
reviews: 10
7. Re: guide at restaurant area

IMHO it would be more simple and logical to take the guide the first morning and see everything with him up till the museum. In that way you will get a lot of information and knowledge by your first visit and will recognize and appreciate everything better on your way back and when you return again on your second day. After the guide has left you, you can have a pause and then go to the Monastery on your own, starting from the museum . On your second day, you can go to the High Place of Sacrifice. You can hire donkeys to there, but I advise you to check that the saddle is sitting tight (-my standard advise because I once fell off when the saddle tilted-) and to get off and walk if you find some of the path too difficult to ride.

Edited: 5:33 pm, June 30, 2014
Aventura, Florida
8. Re: guide at restaurant area

camelfreak, i know that is more logical but we will be 69 and 74 years and there is no way we can do one of the high places and the whole length of the buildings in the same day. Thanks much for the saddle advice. I have ridden horses (the last time in the mountains of Costa Rica), but never a donkey. I am looking forward to a camel ride also.

Amariya, are the guide prices from JordanJubilee accurate?

Reply to: guide at restaurant area
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted