We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cheap 2-way Petra-Eilat transportation in late afternoons

Which Petra - Wadi Musa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
cheap 2-way Petra-Eilat transportation in late afternoons

First of all, I'll travel alone, so taking a taxi is really expensive for me.

I did a web search, but no recent info is available. So here I am, asking help from the all-mighty tripadvisor experts.

I plan to take 10AM egged bus from Jerusalem to Eilat next Sunday. The bus should arrive at Eilat at about 3PM. Suppose transportation from Eilat bus station to border and crossing the border takes about 1 hour, I won't reach Aqaba until 4PM (5PM Jordan time). But the last bus, as I'm told, leaves for Petra at 3PM.

So here are some options, which of these are doable?

1) According to Jordan Jubilee, I can take a bus from Aqaba to Ma'am then transfer to a taxi, which costs about 15JD.

Can anyone tell me how late buses depart from Aqaba to Ma'am? If they are as late as 6PM, I guess I can still make it.

Link:

www.jordanjubilee.com/visitjor/petra1.htm

2)Take the 7AM bus from Jerusalem and arrive at Eilat bus station at noon. Considering the time difference, I can cross the border to the Jordan side at 2PM local time. Can I still catch the last bus to Petra?

Here comes the questions about the return trip.

How late do buses leave Petra for Aquba?

Jordan Jubilee says 4:15PM, but the hostel owner said that they normally leave before 2:30PM, and there are no such accurate bus schedules.

If I just need to cross the border to Israel that day to catch a 11:30 AM flight in Tel-Aviv the second day, can I choose other border crossings? My research indicates that it is not quite feasible, but I'd like to get some feedback.

In all, my questions are:

1) how late buses leave from Aquba to Petra?

2) how late buses leave from Aquba to Ma'am? Is it easy to find a taxi at night from Ma'am to Petra?

3) how late buses leave from Petra to Aquba? If I plan to leave at 4~5PM, what are some options for me? Use Ma'am as the transfer point again?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Petra - Wadi Musa...
reviews: 1
1. Re: cheap 2-way Petra-Eilat transportation in late afternoons

Hi guest,

Welcome to Jordan,

-The last bus leave from Aqaba to Petra around 3:00pm (depend of passengers).

-The last bus leave from Aqaba to Ma'an around 5:00pm and also depend of passengers, so if there are no passengers will not leave.

-The last bus from Petra to Aqaba around 2:30-3:00pm.

- Yes, it is easy to find taxi from Ma'an to Petra and vice versa.

Allenby border (255km) north Petra, and about 30km to Jerusalem, but no local buses from Petra to there, you have to go to Amman, and then from Amman take taxi (approx 25JD).

There are (SOMETIMES) local people with their private cars waiting (at bus stations) for passengers, when there are no buses.

Enjoy

Jordan Beauty Tours

Chicago, Illinois
2. Re: cheap 2-way Petra-Eilat transportation in late afternoons

Thanks for the prompt response.

I guess I need to take the 7AM bus to Eilat in order to catch a bus from Aqaba.

So how do I know if the last bus has left?

Petra - Wadi Musa...
reviews: 1
3. Re: cheap 2-way Petra-Eilat transportation in late afternoons

Hi,

When you arrive at the border take a taxi to the bus station, and ask the driver to show you the bus from Aqaba to Petra, if the last bus has left they will tell you.

Enjoy

Jordan Beauty Tours

Fontainebleau
Destination Expert
for Petra - Wadi Musa
reviews: 2
4. Re: cheap 2-way Petra-Eilat transportation in late afternoons

The buses to Petra leave from just inside the bus station and to the right of the main entrance to it.

Any obvious tourist arriving at this bus station is almost always directed auitomatically to the Petra bus! It has the destination "PETRA" written on it in English.

Athens, Greece
5. Re: cheap 2-way Petra-Eilat transportation in late afternoons

I used the Jerusalem-Eilat bus at November 30th. certainly the 0700 bu is that suits you.

Do not waste time in going to Eilat. Tell the bus driver to leave you in Eilot boarder crossing. The stop is immediately after the circle interchange of road 90(Jerusalem-Eilat) and road 109 (a short strip of road that leads to boarder crossing)(10 minutes walk). It is the last stop before Eilat bus station.

Egged buses have free wifi internet, so if you use a modern phone you will be able to monitor your position in the map all times. The bus also offers telemetic system with next stop only in Hebrew.

Taking the 0700 bus has an official arrival at Eilot boarder crossing at 1147. Be prepared to arrive there from 1100, due to lack of many passengers and traffic that time. Walking to the boarder crossing, customs(the most simple in Israel) and taxi to the city of Aqaba will take apx one hour.

Conclusion: You will be at Aqaba city from 13 (Jordan time) or the worst scenario 14 or 1430 catching the last local bus to Petra.

Taxi tariff from boarders to Aqaba city centre is 10JD, but we payed 12 JD due to due raises as they told as....(check this if its true). King Talal street bus station ,where buses to Petra depart, its next to the police station and its city centre, meaning you have to pay the same price in taxi.

Chicago, Illinois
6. Re: cheap 2-way Petra-Eilat transportation in late afternoons

Thank you so much for the detailed reply. I apologize for the late response.

So I took the 700 bus from jerusalem and arrived at Eilat half an hour early. I found a couple at the borders to share a taxi to Petra, which cost 55jd.

Just some information for future travellers, disel price has been hiking in Jordan. As a result, a return taxi cost me 40jd instead of 35.

7. Re: cheap 2-way Petra-Eilat transportation in late afternoons

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, January 07, 2014