We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sleeping in a cave in Petra

Which Petra - Wadi Musa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
reviews: 1
sleeping in a cave in Petra

I was watching An Idiot Abroad and Destination and I'm really thinking about going to Petra. On both the shows they slept in a cave in Petra and I was wondering if anyone has done that because I'd love to it. I'm not sure how to go about arranging to stay a night in one of the caves. If you have any info please let me know.

32 replies to this topic
Aqaba, Jordan
reviews: 7
1. Re: sleeping in a cave in Petra

until the early 1980's,,, The Petra Bedouin's ( the Bedul ) were moved out of the caves into the Umm Sayhun, now designated as the Petra National Park .

as for, sleeping in a cave within the site,,,, I do think,,, it must have been filmed for the programme.

ciao

Edited: 4:05 pm, January 27, 2011
New York City, New...
reviews: 13
2. Re: sleeping in a cave in Petra

The foul smell of donkey poo will surely kill you on some of those caves. I highly doubt that you can sleep in one of those caves unless you plan to hide out before they close.

Vienna, Austria
reviews: 2
3. Re: sleeping in a cave in Petra

It wasn't recently, but I've met two Brazilian guys in Wadi Musa and they slept in a cave. They just took their sleeping bags, food, water, matches etc and stayed out in Petra for the night. They loved it. Petra is a very extensive site with hundreds of caves, it is easy to get away from the main path. I kind of regretted that I didn't go with them - but I got invited to a Bedouin wedding and I think that was a better decision.

Anyway, this is something which I wouldn't recommend, since I don't have up to date info on the situation. Once you're there you might find out what the situation is.

As for donkey poo, that's what the Bedouin bread is made on.

4. Re: sleeping in a cave in Petra

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:08 am, June 23, 2011

Aqaba, Jordan
reviews: 7
5. Re: sleeping in a cave in Petra

out of your seven posts,,,,, funny how the same link comes up every time.

ciao

A99

Vienna, Austria
6. Re: sleeping in a cave in Petra

<<out of your seven posts,,,,, funny how the same link comes up every time.>>

Do you know a better cave?

Vienna, Austria
7. Re: sleeping in a cave in Petra

aqaba99,

Sorry for the too quick reaction... I read those seven posts now. I don't have a problem if he/she likes an operator, but at least should give more useful information.

As with regards of caves - maybe the Bedul lads can help with that. Do you have any info on that?

Colorado
reviews: 23
8. Re: sleeping in a cave in Petra

i did not sleep in a cave - but spent time hiking in Petra last June and later sleeping in the desert. It was amazing, the whole adventure, a life changing experience and I cannot wait to return. Good luck.

Fontainebleau
Destination Expert
for Petra - Wadi Musa
9. Re: sleeping in a cave in Petra

Remember that sleeping down in the site in Pletra is strictly forbidden, and if the police find you there - they do check! - they will throw you out, even if it is 3am!

Several hotels and agencies use caves in the Baida region near to Petra, which is presumably what the Desert Paramour tours publicist is talking about.

palermo
reviews: 30
10. Re: sleeping in a cave in Petra

you can try contacting happybedouin22@yahoo.com. Salman Bedoul is a local, entrepreneurial, personable young man who host tourists in his cave, also in tents in other locations. He said he will even come and pick you up at the airport in his jeep, and that he has all the equipment, bedding, showers etc. He was riding a horse on the trail up to the sacrificial altar when he stopped and chatted with me. I didn't take any trips with him but might in the future. Please let me know how it works out if you do go.

Reply to: sleeping in a cave in Petra
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted