We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Manu Explorers Manu Reserve tour

Boulder, Colorado
Manu Explorers Manu Reserve tour

I wanted to post a review of a tour I did last summer with Manu Explorers. I booked this tour without seeing many, or really any, reviews of the company. After our successful trip, I want to spread the word of our positive experiences with them. The company was great to work with, our guide (William/Guillermo) was very knowledgeable and spoke great English, and the food and accommodations were good. If you are set on going to Manu, I would not hesitate to recommend them.

There were a few concerns we had about our trip, although not directly related to the company. We originally wanted to go in over land and fly out. Unfortunately, all air flights out of Boca Manu got canceled. Wilbur (the owner) was very honest and upfront from the very beginning about this possibility, so I have no complaints about this circumstance from their end. However, I would highly recommend, if possible, taking the option to fly out of Manu. Otherwise the boat/van back to Cusco is interminably long. The extra money for the flight out is very very worth it.

The other concern is whether you should even go to Manu Reserve at all. Looking back, I probably wouldn't do the same trip again. I would only recommend the Manu Reserve for those of you who are true jungle nuts. Part of its appeal may be its remoteness, but that also means you spend much of your time (two full days) just getting in and out. I can compare this experience with being in the jungle on the Osa Peninsula in Costa Rica, and I felt like I had just as positive an experience in my 1 day jungle tour, and also had the variety of other activities that the Osa allowed. With the 6 day Manu tour, you are somewhat captive to the limited hikes that the guides can provide, because you don't really have the option of doing anything else. In the end, I would probably have preferred to just go to one of the jungle lodges out of Puerto Maldonado, which would be less of a time and money commitment.

But like I said, if you are committed to going to Manu, do not hesitate at all using Manu Explorers. A great company to work with.

erik

Brisbane, Australia
reviews: 13
1. Re: Manu Explorers Manu Reserve tour

Good info Erik. I have been trying to decide whether to do a 6/7 day overland trip from Cusco to Manu or do 5/6 days Tambopata (thought of staying at Wasai or maybe TWC). I am prepared to spend the money & time if the Manu experience will be better or is it just different. I want to go a few hours into the jungle where it is a bit more remote & not be too close to P Maldonado or Boca Manu etc. I know there are no guarantees on animal sightings but would like to see tapir, capybara, otters, insects, visit macaw & tapir licks etc. We like birds but are not looking for bird tours. The travel days will still b experiences but was interested in your comments that there were limited walks available to you.

Has anyone done both areas & can offer detailed info.

Colorado
reviews: 3
2. Re: Manu Explorers Manu Reserve tour

I did the Manu Bio Trip that Inkanatura offers on March 31. It was the 6-day, 5 night overland from Cusco trip.

Yes, it took 3 long days to get to the Manu Wildlife Center. But that was part of the appeal for me. There is much to see and learn about going over the Andes, and canoeing up the Manu and Madre de Dios.

Our guides were great, William and Ceasar. They really knew their birds, and had ingenious ways of calling out to them, using apps on ipods/iphones. but their knowledge went way beyond birds. They were truly a dynamic duo of information and enthusiasm.

I knew that the time of year I was going was not the best in terms of wildlife viewing. But it also wasn't as hot and humid as the "ideal" time of year. I saw enough to be satisfied. The facilities at Cock of the Rock and Amazonia Lodges were quite nice, and the Manu Wildlife Center was fantastic. The food was great for being in the middle of the jungle at all of the lodges.

The trip out of there was a combination of river, 4-wheel drive, more river, and finally van to Puerto Maldanado, where we caught a plane to Cusco.

getting to Manu was part of the journey. If you are in a hurry to get to Manu, this particular trip would not be something you should do. Three days of travel just to get there might not appeal to everyone, but it opened my eyes to many different ecosystems, and I couldn't have asked for a better tour company to this this trip with.

Charlotte

Brisbane, Australia
3. Re: Manu Explorers Manu Reserve tour

Hi Soujourner, I am trying to choose between a couple of different companies and itineraries for Manu. I like the 7day/6night InkaNatura trip and includes the Manu Wildlife Tented Camp. I am planning the trip now for 2013. When is the best time for animals in Manu? I believe that the macaws are not there in June and in reduced numbers in May. Can you suggest which months are better and why as this will help my planning. I also want to walk the Inca Trail so would prefer Apr-Sep when it is drier. I like the idea of going overland from Cusco so we see more Any other comments or suggestions on Manu that may help. Thanks.

New York City, New...
4. Re: Manu Explorers Manu Reserve tour

@Erik I'm thinking of going to Manu. Did you stay in a lodge? I really do not want to camp in a tent in the Amazon.

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 2
5. Re: Manu Explorers Manu Reserve tour

Just wanted to chime in on what a great company Manu Explorers is! We went on a 5 day 4 night Manu trip with them in August of 2010 and we honestly think about that trip every day! There were not many reviews of them at the time but we took a chance and are so glad we did. Wilbert was wonderful - he customized our trip to what we wanted to see and do.

We stayed at the Tambo Blanquillo lodge for a couple of nights and then the last night camped on a sand bar right in the middle of the Madre de Dios river! A huge Tapir swam across the river right in front of us - it was crazy. We floated around at night in a catamaran, looking for caiman and giant otters, fished and ate piranha and saw scorpion spiders. Went to a Macaw clay lick and saw at least 80.

The food was excellent and we couldn't have asked for a better time. When we planned our trip to Peru our main focus was on the IT hike. Little did we know that our adventure in the jungle would end up being our favorite part.

Oslo, Norway
reviews: 1
6. Re: Manu Explorers Manu Reserve tour

We spent our best days in Peru on a 6 days tour with "Bonanza Tour". You will experience on this trip what they promise you on their web-site. They wouldn't promise to see the jaguar, but we saw four of them, one not so far from our boat (see photo link). It's been an adventure, which requires physical some strength. The boat tour is spectacular in the sometimes strong current of the Madre de Dios river, and we boys had to jump out to push the boat from time to time. Most participants were between 17 and 45, my friend and I were 55 and 65! We got very close to real wildlife, and the places we stayed were very remote. Some places we had no electricity and just cold shower, but who cares for the adventure is more real without the minibar and the TV you get everywhere else. One station in the heart of the national parc is run by a tribe of indigenous people who live the original way of life.

The two tour guides we had were very competent and friendly. The cook managed to prepare three meals a day, and we even got warm Peruvian dishes on the longboat!

Over all judgment: This tour gives full satisfaction for the money and memories for the rest of your life. Photos you find here: https:/…5877723623861580849

7. Re: Manu Explorers Manu Reserve tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 1:35 pm, September 18, 2013
Brisbane, Australia
8. Re: Manu Explorers Manu Reserve tour

Daniel, your photos are a true reflection of what our Manu trip was like, except I did not get to see any jaguar - what a beautiful animal they are. Thanks for bringing back such great memories!

9. Re: Manu Explorers Manu Reserve tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, September 20, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Manu National Park