We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Torres Del Paine Hike...prices

Which Chillan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Paris, France
Torres Del Paine Hike...prices

Hi,

Me and a friend (both girls 24) are hoping to hike around Torres del Paine for around 4-6 days in October 2013.

I'm basically just wondering what the cheapest way to do this is with a porter?

We'd obviously want to be camping, and have some food etc. (I think we could buy our own food, to keep the costs down)

But I've been searching everywhere and actually have been able to find little information on the prices of hiking Torres del Paine.

At the moment, were not entirely sure which route we'd want to take...I've heard that the 'W trek' is overrated (whether this is true or not, I have no idea).

But basically any information from people who've done Torres del Paine on prices, accomodation, food, porters, guides, tour operators (better with, or without?)

And also, is it better to book the hike in Chile when we arrive or to book before hand online?

Thanks

8 replies to this topic
Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
reviews: 20
1. Re: Torres Del Paine Hike...prices

It isn't the best time of year for TdP as there may be parts still with snow if you want to do the W or, especially, the circuit. There are no porters in TdP. You either hike independently or take a tour which includes transportation. If you are on a budget you go independently and carry your gear and food or rent a set up tent at refugio campgrounds and eat in the refugios.. The price of camping and meals can be found on either the Fantástico Sur or Vertice websites. There is also free camping in some spots with no services. No wild camping is permitted.

There are some very good trip reports on TdP on here if you use the search function.

Edited: 11:16 am, January 12, 2013
Brussels, Belgium
reviews: 95
2. Re: Torres Del Paine Hike...prices

Most hikers in Chile trek bakpacking on thier own and carrying their backpack. There are two options

- staying in the expensive Refugios

- or camping, which is cheap, but you'll need to acrry everything. You can buy some basic food at the refugios, but it's also expensive.

Bristol, United...
reviews: 2
3. Re: Torres Del Paine Hike...prices

Hi there, I'm Charlotte from Swoop Patagonia.

October is a cool time of year to visit Torres del paine as there are far fewer people in the park so the trails aren't as busy. However, like dancingmolly says, the weather can be pretty interesting, with snow still on the trails.

The W Circuit takes 4-5 days depending on how fast you are and takes in the park's highlights including the stunning mile-high granite Torres, the hanging glacier in French Valley and the sprawling Glacier Grey. I recommend this if you have some hiking experience but you don't want to do the much more strenuous Full Circuit which needs about 9 days. The Full Circuit is great if you're prepared to spend most of the time camping, carrying gear (I recommend hiring a porter) and you want to visit the beautiful, remote northern part of the park as well.

One of the best ways of keeping costs down is to do a self-guided W Circuit trip which is where an operator organises all the accommodation, transport and food for you, which leaves you with the freedom to hike self-guided just following the trails and a map.

If there's anything else I can help with let me know!

Thanks,

Charlotte

Perth, Western...
reviews: 6
4. Re: Torres Del Paine Hike...prices

Hi Charlotte,

Could you recommend a particular operator for the self guided walk? We are going in October 2013...

Thank you

Judes

Stanley, Falkland...
reviews: 44
5. Re: Torres Del Paine Hike...prices

I think the rules of TripAdvisor preclude Charlotte from promoting her own company.....

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
reviews: 20
6. Re: Torres Del Paine Hike...prices

You don't need anyone to book the refugios or meals for you. All of them are owned by one of two companies. They give you a map at the entrance to the park and all trails are marked. Unless you want a guide, which is not necessary, just book it yourself. Fantastico Sur has bookings for their refugios as does Vertice. Both websites have plenty of information.

Book early, August at the latest. The season is getting longer every year. Don't try to book now, everyone is too busy to answer emails or even the phone.

Edited: 9:30 am, February 03, 2013
Washington DC...
7. Re: Torres Del Paine Hike...prices

Can you do the O circuit in 6-7 days if you have a lot hiking experience? Also what is the longest stretch on the O circuit between refugios?

Brussels, Belgium
reviews: 95
8. Re: Torres Del Paine Hike...prices

After doing the real loop by the North of the mountains, you can decide if you want to do the 2 other branches of the W as well, or terminate directly. You will need to camp at least one night for crossing the pass, I'd think.

Reply to: Torres Del Paine Hike...prices
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted