We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Inexpensive restaurants ?

Which Sosua hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ottawa Canada
reviews: 12
Inexpensive restaurants ?

My wife and I will be staying at the Casa Serena B & B at the edge of Sosua and we were hoping everyone could help us out. What are your favourite inexpensive restaurants for lunch and dinner ? And why are they your favourite ? And if you could only do one excursion, which one would it be ? Again, thanking you all for your help !

21 replies to this topic
Silver Spring...
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
reviews: 1
1. Re: Inexpensive restaurants ?

My kids and I have a favorite very inexpensive place we go. Senor Hot Dog who has a food cart on Pedro Clisante in front of the old Moby Dick disco entrance. 50 Pesos for a meal, and the hot dog is like a meal. Topped with salad and condiments, one is enough, two is overfull. He's been there for more than 15 years.

Excursion, Sosua Beach tops the list, Monkey Jungle second.

Edited: 1:11 pm, December 11, 2013
Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Sosua, Dominican Republic
reviews: 85
2. Re: Inexpensive restaurants ?

Monkey Jungle for sure. Great zip line and a great monkey habitat that you go into and interact with the monkeys

For meals

Orchidee, which is our favorite

Britainia pub

Café cubano for lunch

Bologna for pizza and pasta, can get pricey

velero a bit pricey but good

Baileys also ways consistent and reasonable prices

On the beach Tom's Scandanavian bar #150 or so

Hope this helps

Have a great time

BObK

Silver Spring...
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
3. Re: Inexpensive restaurants ?

Yeah, Tom's Scandanavian bar on Sosua beach is a good choice. Inexpensive, great burgers, Tom is a great guy. And right on the beach with shade.

Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Sosua, Dominican Republic
reviews: 85
4. Re: Inexpensive restaurants ?

Yes I am there every Tuesday for a bacon cheeseburger...Great!

BObK

Silver Spring...
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
5. Re: Inexpensive restaurants ?

Goes good with a cold green bottle!

Ottawa Canada
6. Re: Inexpensive restaurants ?

MMMMMMMM....sounding good.......keep 'em coming ! I can't imagine sitting in our skimpy bathing suits on the beach, wolfing down a few bacon cheeseburgers in paradise !

New York City
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
reviews: 3
7. Re: Inexpensive restaurants ?

All things being relative, Freezin - by any measure all Sosuan restaurants are in fact inexpensive to a tourist. It just boils down to just how surprisingly inexpensive dining options can become. And a 50 peso hot dog is about as cheap as I've heard ... sounds damn good by the way, so I'll be giving that a try in 63 days...

Anywhooo, I like this little local spot I always mention called Suzanna's. Situated further down Pedro Clisante in a decidedly non-touristy area, yet it's not terribly far - any motoconcho or local can direct you there. It's well worth the effort to take the leisurely stroll. Your reward comes in spending not more than 200 pesos for basic yet flavorful Dominican dishes more than likely served by the restaurant's engaging name-sake Suzanna herself.

Do ya dig horses? I do - At least once or twice each trip. There are several outfits that arrange outings ranging from a few hours to all day with meals in between. I usually ride with a local named Chiquito, who offers day long trips and lunch/drinks with his family in the campos - it's quite an adventure! (#809.977.4619). However ... I'm not certain he's still doing these tours - at least he wasn't back in July. That said, I've heard good reviews of this outfit as well: http://www.rancholobogrisdr.com/

Regardless what you choose to do, I'm sure you'll have a Great time and leave Sosua with greater memories...

Buen viaje!

Ottawa Canada
8. Re: Inexpensive restaurants ?

Thanks Flyguy, it sounds like we'll be there around the same time.

New York City
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
reviews: 3
9. Re: Inexpensive restaurants ?

De nada, Freezin' ... Yup, there's a few of us frozen winter refugees heading down around the same time! It's gonna be a blast!

And to those bringing their significant others ... on the 14th of February, Valentines Day, it's "Dia de Amor" in Sosua. So don't forget to bring and sport your red shirts! That color complements those green bottles quite nicely.

Ottawa Canada
10. Re: Inexpensive restaurants ?

Geez, I forgot that we'll be there for Valentine's Day.

Reply to: Inexpensive restaurants ?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted