We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

IBC to Sosua and general question about Sosua

Which Sosua hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Malverne, New York
reviews: 4
IBC to Sosua and general question about Sosua

We will be staying at the IBC in Feb (with teenage girls 16/17). This will be our 3rd time back to the IBC. I would like to take a trip to Sosua for a few reasons; therefore, my questions are as follows:

1) how much should it cost us to get from IBC to Sosua, via taxi?

2) The reason for the trip to Sosua is to check it out for future visits to POP and to get away from the big box hotel scene. With that said, if we stayed at a place in Sosua that was not a big box hotel and say we picked a place that was a 5-10 min walk to beach, do hotels in this area offer patrons fold up chairs, towels, umbrella's that we could bring to the beach? Being at the beach is the main reason for us to be in DR in the winter, we could sit there all day...(well almost).

3) Would you agree that the cost to stay in Sousa would be less than a stay at IBC/night or would it basically be the same when you add up the cost of 2 meals a day/drinks/snacks/etc?

4) Am I correct in saying that Sosua is safe during the day and as well at night as long as we use common sense?

5) Can you feel free to walk the beach area in Sosua during the day? Is there a limit to how far one can walk along the beach? I say this because at IBC we once walked westerly along the beach and after we passed where the hotels ended, we were told by locals not to go any farther around the point. I wanted to go on as there were folks fishing and donkeys walking the beach but my wife wanted to turn around.

Your opinions and responses are very much appreciated. Thank you in advance.

-rich

2 replies to this topic
Silver Spring...
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
reviews: 1
1. Re: IBC to Sosua and general question about Sosua

1) I believe the fare is $40 o/w. Make a deal with the Taxi for a round trip and pay them only on the return.

2) Sosua beach (Playa Sosua) is unique. There are almost 200 casetas which sell everything and many are restaurants with good food. On the beautiful beach there are dozens of cabana boys that rent umbrellas and chairs. They will also bring you your drinks and or food. A day at Sosua beach is a must do for visitors to PP.

3) It will depend on where your stay. There is the Casa Marina AI and then dozens and dozens of other hotel/motels in Sosua from $30/night and up. Food in local spots is inexpensive, in tourist resaurants can be more pricey. Overall it can be much cheaper than ibc.

4) Yes, absoultely.

5) You can walk the entire beach. It is a u shape sort of in a cove and the beach is lined with casetas from the El Batey side to the Los Charamicos side. Google "pictures of sosua beach".

Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Sosua, Dominican Republic
reviews: 77
2. Re: IBC to Sosua and general question about Sosua

Good info from RV.

Sosua bay is one of my favorite beaches and note that it is closed at dusk. You cannot walk along the beach at night.

Another option is condo or Villa rentals with lots of options in town and within a short walk as well.

BObK

Reply to: IBC to Sosua and general question about Sosua
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted