We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

DR Tourist Card / Departure Tax

Which Cabarete hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Jose, California
reviews: 30
DR Tourist Card / Departure Tax

I've been researching this topic and find different answers. So hopefully I can get the current answers.

When I land @ POP, I must purchase a tourist card before I get in the immigration line? It costs $20US (a copy of which I am given back and must present as I leave the country)?

When I leave POP to return home, I must pay $20US departure tax? Over the years, in some countries, the departure tax is often included in the price of the flight ticket. Could this be the case, and should I check with my airline (Delta)?

Thanks in advance. Gela

Maryland
reviews: 2
1. Re: DR Tourist Card / Departure Tax

When we were there in Feb. We paid as soon as we disembarked the airplane in Punta Cana before going thru immigration.

Nova Scotia
reviews: 1
2. Re: DR Tourist Card / Departure Tax

Not quite Gela...

When you land in POP you follow the signs towards the baggage claim area but before you encounter the carousels you enter a room with the Immigration (Migracion) booths at the end. Over on the left is a counter where you purchase your Tourist Card for $10US per person. When you get the Tourist Card there are tables with a blue form and some pencils (I do recommend that you bring your own pen however) and you fill in the blue form. You go through the Migracion booth where they check your ID and take the blue form and then let you pass. Just after that a guy takes the Tourist Card you just purchased and you proceed to the Baggage Carousels. After claiming your bags you pass the Customs (Aduana) counters (the stainless steel counters) where they might choose to examine your luggage. I just walk past them like I own the place and have never been stopped. You exit the door and you have arrived in paradise. The porters (maleteros) will offer to carry your bags (for a fee) but just say No Gracias if you don't want their help. If you want there is a beer counter to the left of the exit door for a nice refresco before heading to your transportation.

On the way back there is a Departure Tax of $20US per person BUT it is included with most, if not all US airline tickets so check with your TA or airline to see if you have already prepaid it.

Enjoy.

Gregg

Nova Scotia
3. Re: DR Tourist Card / Departure Tax

The Tourist Card used to be a two part document (part of which was presented on exiting the DR) but now it is only a one piece card which is handed back to the official just after the Migracion booth on arrival.

Gregg

San Jose, California
4. Re: DR Tourist Card / Departure Tax

Gracias Gregg. I think I"ve got it. Tuck away some dinero and walk like I know where I'm going. Can't wait. Will arrive Nov 17!

Gela

San Jose, California
5. Re: DR Tourist Card / Departure Tax

I am happy to report that my trip was a success. The process @ POP was easy thanks to Delta Airlines.

They gave us the "blue card" on board the plane to complete. It took me about 5 seconds to pay the $10 and to turn it in. The longest part of the process was waiting for my luggage. It came in 3 waves - mine was in the last wave (I had a 5 hour layover in Atlanta).

The even better news was that no one asked for $20 departure tax (must have been included in the cost of my ticket).

Sault Ste. Marie...
reviews: 2
6. Re: DR Tourist Card / Departure Tax

Gregg

Did I hear you correctly when you said the beer stand is on the left hand side when you depart the terminal ? I swore it was on the right hand side when I was there in March. Could have been the plane booze though ! Don't be toying with my emotions ! I'm going to need my fix of Presindente as soon as I clear customs !

Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Sosua, Dominican Republic
reviews: 89
7. Re: DR Tourist Card / Departure Tax

Gregg is correct the beer is on the left where the exit dumps you out. and it is ice cold.

BObK

Nova Scotia
8. Re: DR Tourist Card / Departure Tax

Soo_Boy,

If I recall you were in Punta Cana in March (where the beer stand IS on the right) but in Puerto Plata it's on the left.

If I misremembered your March destination - sorry and please ignore - but the beer stand in POP is still on the left - LOL.

BobK - I always reserve the right to be wrong - but not likely about where the cold beer can be found - LOL.

Gregg

Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Sosua, Dominican Republic
reviews: 89
9. Re: DR Tourist Card / Departure Tax

Amazing how that works. We can't ask for directions, but have very good Beerdar.

BObK

San Jose, California
10. Re: DR Tourist Card / Departure Tax

I have to say, that after visiting Belize, Costa Rica, Panama, Turks and Caicos, Dominican Republic, Presidente is my favorite local Beer. I think Panama, is my second favorite. :-) Beerdar - got that right!