We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How long a drive from Tulum to Chetumal?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Chetumal hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle
How long a drive from Tulum to Chetumal?

We're staying in Tulum this January and are interested in driving down to Bacalar and the ruins near Chetumal. I see that it's about 150 miles, but I don't know the roads. How many hours does it usually take to drive a car from Tulum to Chetumal?

Central Wisconsin
reviews: 4
1. Re: How long a drive from Tulum to Chetumal?

Having driven roads in Mexico, and depending on traffic, and construction and unknown events, I would plan on four hours, no less. You could be there in three, or less even depending on traffic conditions but it could take more.

Central Wisconsin
reviews: 4
2. Re: How long a drive from Tulum to Chetumal?

How could this post be this old? Just realized I replied to an ancient post. Many apologies.

Mexico
3. Re: How long a drive from Tulum to Chetumal?

In case this isn´t an old post(?) just to let you know, I recently made that drive in about 2 hours and 15 minutes. Most of the drive is a very new and nice highway. Enjoy your vacation!

california
4. Re: How long a drive from Tulum to Chetumal?

I'll be making that drive in March - any suggestions?

Did you drive further into Belize?

Mexico
5. Re: How long a drive from Tulum to Chetumal?

It´s a very easy and enjoyable drive. You can drive to Belize or catch a bus at the border. Buses charge about 30 pesos to Corozal. Make sure you get permission to leave Mexico on the Mexican side of the bridge, I think it costs about 200 pesos. Have a great trip!

california
6. Re: How long a drive from Tulum to Chetumal?

I will be staying in Tulum and trying to decide if it's worth driving down to Chetumal. Any suggestions on what to see/do in Chetumal? Is it a worthwhile day trip? Or any other suggestions?

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
reviews: 59
7. Re: How long a drive from Tulum to Chetumal?

Chetumal is not a bad place to visit--very interesting museum and lots of nice restaurants on the water. And , since its not overrun with tourists, prices are cheap.

Really, one of my favorite spots is Bacalar. I often spend time at a friends house there and the water is beautiful.

california
8. Re: How long a drive from Tulum to Chetumal?

I will be staying in Tulum - Is there anything worthwhile to do/see in Chetumal?

Trying to decide if I should make the drive. Suggestions?

california
9. Re: How long a drive from Tulum to Chetumal?

Bacalar? Where is that?

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
reviews: 59
10. Re: How long a drive from Tulum to Chetumal?

Laguna Bacalar is about 45 minutes before you reach Chetumal. It is Mexicos second largest lake. Probably the most beautiful water I have seen . Many wealthy Chetumal residents have second homes here and its been long undiscovered by the public. But unfortunately, its slowly being found. More info here:

http://lagunabacalar.com/