We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is the best and safest route from GenSan to CDO?

Which General Santos hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 11
What is the best and safest route from GenSan to CDO?

We are planning a driving trip this coming May. Coming from Cagayan de Oro, we plan to visit Kidapawan via Carmen then to General Santos City and then back to Cagayan de Oro City. Any tips about this route, places to go to and suggestions for decent accommodation. Thanks in advance!

7 replies to this topic
Oslo
reviews: 101
1. Re: What is the best and safest route from GenSan to CDO?

This is not considered a safe route to travel.

Puerto Galera...
2. Re: What is the best and safest route from GenSan to CDO?

Rubbish - would you advise people not to use the London Underground because 77 people were blown up in Kings Cross or Visit the USA because of 9/11.

I have visited GenSan and travelled up to Lake Sebu - I am white UK and my son from Davao to GenSan.

Where I would avoid is Basilan Island and Tawi Tawi. or if not certain around Zoamboanga which is where the terrorism has been confined.

I would have thought the best way would be to get an aircon bus to Davao ( abour 3 or 4 hours)which leave GenSan bus station frequently - i would say at least one an hour and then I expect there are direct buses to C D'Or but I am unfamiliar with this route.

Edited: 10:02 am, November 26, 2013
Puerto Galera...
3. Re: What is the best and safest route from GenSan to CDO?

p.s. buses davao to cagayan about 6 0r 7 hours according to this …blogspot.pt/2010/09/cagayan-de-oro-to-davao…

4. Re: What is the best and safest route from GenSan to CDO?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline with regards to harassment of another user. We will remove messages that include personal attacks or hostility directed at an individual user or group of users, threatening language or attempts to force a user to discontinue participation on our forums.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:57 am, December 01, 2013

Leyte Island...
reviews: 22
5. Re: What is the best and safest route from GenSan to CDO?

Over multiple visits to Mindanao, I have visited Davao City, Surigao City, CDO, Iligan City, Ozamiz City and Oroquieta City. Plus Camiguin Island. I would be happy to visit all those places again.

However, the route from CDO to GenSan is not one I would travel by road.

My suggestion for safe would be fly General Santos City to Manila then Manila to CDO.

Puerto Galera...
6. Re: What is the best and safest route from GenSan to CDO?

There have been specific isolated incidents in Mindanao but your initial observation that the route between GenSan and C D'Or is unsafe does not reflect the views I hope of most visitors to the Philippines that whereas there is a risk of terrorist activity or crime that the risk is no more than in the rest of the Philippines or for that matter most of the world. A bland statement that Mindanao is dangerous just as a bland statement that the Philippines is a dangerous place to be doesn't help people assess the risks involved.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
reviews: 1,118
7. Re: What is the best and safest route from GenSan to CDO?

This road route is one that I would like to do because there is no doubt that like so many Filipino roads, it would be scenic.

However there is a paucity of information on the Internet about the route, so it is good to hear from one Caucasian traveller who has done it.

Experiences of a few more travellers would be helpful because the Australian Embassy (plus others from Western countries) may advise us not to travel between these two cities by road. Nonetheless I rarely if ever read of anyone experiencing trouble in this area - perhaps it is not reported, or maybe there is no trouble.

I have however travelled by taxi from General Santos to near Glan to see the amazingly beautiful white sand beaches. I did not experience any problems.

Edited: 7:12 am, November 27, 2013
Reply to: What is the best and safest route from GenSan to CDO?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted