We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Hotel @ Tharabar Gate or Thande Hotel Bagan?

Which Bagan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Colden, New York
reviews: 72
The Hotel @ Tharabar Gate or Thande Hotel Bagan?

Torn between these 2 places. Love the location of Tharabar but think Thande would be less expensive? Looking to stay for 5-7 nights mid Februaury 2014. My husband has requested a place with a pool.

Our plan is to sightsee from around 8 am-12 noon. Then out again around 3 pm-sunset. That should give us around 7 hrs.?? One full day for day trip to Salay and Mount Popa. Sunrise balloon ride. Usual temples/pagodas with some less visited ones too. Some time at the Bagan Archaeological Museum.

Which place should we try for? The other place would get listed as second choice for Yangon TA if first choice not available. Any feedback from anyone that has stayed at both or either one of these places would be appreciated. They both get good reviews on TA.

Hobart, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vanuatu
1. Re: The Hotel @ Tharabar Gate or Thande Hotel Bagan?

We stayed at The Hotel @ Tharabar Gate in June last year and loved it - we had deluxe rooms and paid around $80 a night including breakfast. We used a Myanmar agent to book all our accommodation. Pool was lovely and I liked that there were plenty of places to walk to for dinner - the hotel is expensive to eat in and we prefer the local places. I also loved the fact you could walk to some temples.

Regards

Suzi

Colden, New York
2. Re: The Hotel @ Tharabar Gate or Thande Hotel Bagan?

Thanks suzi. I'm just afraid that with the prices going up we will have to do some careful budgeting. When I checked the price for the Tharabar I was getting $182 exclusive of taxes for the deluxe room. For Thande I was getting $75 exclusive of taxes. I'm sure by the time we go in early 2014 prices may even be higher.

I guess with the increase in demand from tourists the hotels are probably all going to be double the price!

Warks.England
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
reviews: 245
3. Re: The Hotel @ Tharabar Gate or Thande Hotel Bagan?

Early indications for the 2013/4 season are an increase of 25%.

Colden, New York
4. Re: The Hotel @ Tharabar Gate or Thande Hotel Bagan?

Thanks ss. 25% is way better than 50%!!!!!

yangon
Destination Expert
for Bagan
reviews: 4
5. Re: The Hotel @ Tharabar Gate or Thande Hotel Bagan?

The location of Bagan Thante is better than Tharabar gate.And price seem a little bit less.

Both are in old Bagan area but Thande located at riverside.

Melbourne
reviews: 41
6. Re: The Hotel @ Tharabar Gate or Thande Hotel Bagan?

stayed at Tharabar gate in sept last year and also paid $80/night in deluxe room with breakfast. I did a review and our only criticism was state of pool on one of our days there. overall a great stay there. I had a friend in Yangon who got me the $80 rate when the best I could get online was $100/night. Try some agents in Yangon they may be able to get better rates. The area right outside the tharabar gate has plenty of good food places ( cheap and good), bike hire right outside, close by many temples. We didnt get a guide for the temple area ( I was pretty well sure on what we wanted to see and they are all close by), however we ended up picking up a young guy who became our guide. we ended up going down to his village beside the river where we met his family. If you have room take pencils and books for the young kids down there. They have nothing and really loved the stuff. We also went to Mt Popa and Nyuang U market one day. well worth it as it was a nice drive into the countryside. balloons were not working when we went so cant comment on that but all say it is good. If budget doesnt allow consider a couple in each place and have a great holiday.

London,Ontario
reviews: 23
7. Re: The Hotel @ Tharabar Gate or Thande Hotel Bagan?

Stayed at the Tharabar in Nov/12 and loved it. Lovely open dining room, inviting pool for the mid-day break, spacious well-appointed rooms and elegant public areas. Walked to adjacent restaurant for dinners. Quite reasonable and tasty. Can't comment on price because a) that would have changed as demand is increasing and b) it was part of a package tour extremely well put together by "Myanmar Shalom". In any case, Bagan is allround magical.

Hobart, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vanuatu
8. Re: The Hotel @ Tharabar Gate or Thande Hotel Bagan?

I agree with Geoff1964 - get a local agent to give you a quote. Even with the rapid price increases that seems crazy. Some agents may be quoting too high to put you off as I know the hotel asked for payment before arrival which our agent had to pay out of their pocket

Regards

Suzi

Glendale, California
reviews: 87
9. Re: The Hotel @ Tharabar Gate or Thande Hotel Bagan?

We were just at the Tharabar Gate for 3 nights and checked out this am to come to Mandalay. If the pool is important to you think twice. It was closed for two of the 3 days we were there. They have some serious management issues which I will elaborate on my return in a review. In many ways it is fabulous but iin others it has a way to go with maintaining the property.

Colden, New York
10. Re: The Hotel @ Tharabar Gate or Thande Hotel Bagan?

elynchking-

Thanks so much for the info. The pool is important to my husband. That is his way of rejuvenating himself. It worked out great on all our other trips especially those countries with a climate so much warmer than what we're used to here in NY.

Looking forward to your trip report and reviews. Hope the rest of your trip goes exactly as you planned. Have a wonderful time!