We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Banyuwangi as base for daytrips to Ijen and Baluran NP?

Which Banyuwangi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Munich, Germany
Banyuwangi as base for daytrips to Ijen and Baluran NP?

Is Banyuwangi an OK base for daytrips to both Ijen and Baluran national park in terms of available accomodation and organizing transport to those places (no guided tours if possible)?

We will be traveling east Java and Bali in June for 12 days, starting in Surabaya and leaving from Denpasar. After Mt.Bromo and before going to Bali we want to see both Ijen and Baluran NP, but it seems there are not many good + easy to reach places to stay near either of them, which is why we had the idea to base ourselves in Banyuwangi for 2 or three nights and then organize day trips from there. For Ijen that would mean renting a car+driver it seems, while getting to Baluran seems to be possible with public transport?

Is that a good idea or are there better options where we could be staying the nights? Lonely planet is not so enthusiastic about Banyuwangi and it is hard to find information because it seems most people visit atractions in east java with organized tours...

Any advice or tips would be welcome. Thank you!

18 replies to this topic
Salatiga, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Java
reviews: 50
1. Re: Banyuwangi as base for daytrips to Ijen and Baluran NP?

Hello Ralf,

Did you find a hotel where you want to stay in Banyuwangi? I think your best chance is to ask a hotel whether they can provide transport.

I visited both Ijen and Baluran NP, but with my own car, so I don't know how easy it is to rent a car in Banyuwangi. Considering the size of the town it should be possible. It is indeed the biggest tiwn in the region and there are several hotels.

To reach Ijen from Banyuwangi you need to rent a 4WD. I came with my ordinary car from Ijen down to Banyuwangi, could not have made it in the other direction. There are several stretches in the road in very poor repair, only trucks and 4WD's go uphill. (Unless they repaired the road since 2009, but that does not seem likely.)

Public transport may drop you at the entrance gate to Baluran, but then you have to walk several km to the rangers' station and the coast. I recommend you stay at least one night over in the accommodation; they give a tour at daybreak for spotting animals.

Good luck with planning your trip.

Theo

Banyuwangi-Sunrise...
2. Re: Banyuwangi as base for daytrips to Ijen and Baluran NP?

for further information, visit

www.banyuwangikab.go.id

www.banyuwangitourism.com

Munich, Germany
3. Re: Banyuwangi as base for daytrips to Ijen and Baluran NP?

Thank you Theo for your detailled post, much appreciated. I have not looked for any specific hotels in Banyuwangi yet, just saw that there are a few options. Do you have any suggestions?

Regarding Baluran: Did you stay in the accomodation in the park and if so could you share your experience? It sounds tempting and would be on the way anyways but Lonely planet says there is no restaurants/food available, which would be rather inconvenient for us.

Regarding Ijen: I read that it is possible to rent private cars with driver from Banyuwangi to take you there early morning and back for around 500,000rp: Has anyone done that? Would like to hear if it is easy enough to find someone.

Rigtra, thanks I fould those links before but would prefer to get opinions of actual travellers here.

Salatiga, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Java
4. Re: Banyuwangi as base for daytrips to Ijen and Baluran NP?

On Banyuwangi hotels I have no experience. I was going to write: "compare notes on websites like hotelium.com, bookings.com, and of course TA". Then I found this quote in a TA review of Ketapang Indah Hotel by an0nym0us:

"The location is not quite as close to Ijen as a few other hotels, but the trip from Ketapang Indah to those hotels is only 15 or 20 mins, so it's not significant in the overall journey to the Ijen Crater. By the way, the road from Banyuwangi to the Ijen Crater car park has been improved recently, it is now easy to ascend using a standard car (2 wheel drive), you no longer need 4-wheel drive or ojek (motorbyke taxi) to get to the top."

This shows that the road has indeed been improved and that renting a car with driver for Ijen is not uncommon. A price of Rp 500,000 for a day trip is not bad. A 4WD shpuld be more expensive.

Yes, my wife and I stayed in the Baluran accommodation. There are basic wooden bungalows at the rangers' station and a brick house near the coast, also basic - but ok for a night or two. But unfortunately no restaurant or warung, you have to bring your own food.

Theo

Paris, France
reviews: 6
5. Re: Banyuwangi as base for daytrips to Ijen and Baluran NP?

Hi, I'm planning to do to Ijen from Banyuwangi on a day tour around 1 June 2013, by hiring a car with a driver.

I will try to share the cost with other people at the hotel where I will stay.

From What I've read, it's an hour up. I found this alternative route to Ijen quite interesting as it saves a journey to Bondowoso

travelfish.org/blogs/…

Salatiga, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Java
6. Re: Banyuwangi as base for daytrips to Ijen and Baluran NP?

Yes, Arnaud, that is the route we were discussing in this thread:

members.virtualtourist.com/m/p/m/1f2a64/

The word is that the road has been improved, but I can't certify that.

Theo

Munich, Germany
7. Re: Banyuwangi as base for daytrips to Ijen and Baluran NP?

Hey Arnaud, thanks for the helpful link. Would be great if you could report back after your trip to Ijen and let us how it went! Do you already have a hotel in Banyuwangi?

Thanks again Theo, all very helpful! I think we will try to stay a night in Baluran and just pick up some food on our way there. I guess there is no place to cook though?

Salatiga, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Java
8. Re: Banyuwangi as base for daytrips to Ijen and Baluran NP?

Hello Ralf,

About cooking at Baluran, I don't quite remember. There may have been a possibility for boiling water - which would do for tea, coffee and 'mi rebus'.

Theo

Paris, France
reviews: 6
9. Re: Banyuwangi as base for daytrips to Ijen and Baluran NP?

I will report about the situation at Ijen beginning of June.

I've booked accomodation with Ritansa roebuck in BANYUWANGI : looks good for the price.

See you.

Munich, Germany
10. Re: Banyuwangi as base for daytrips to Ijen and Baluran NP?

Thanks Theo and Arnaud, looking forward to the update. Ritansa roebuck looks like a good choice in Banyuwangi. Did you call them to make the reservation?

Reply to: Banyuwangi as base for daytrips to Ijen and Baluran NP?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Banyuwangi
More Banyuwangi Topics