We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bad tour operator in Probolinggo, Indonesia

Which Banyuwangi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco...
reviews: 63
Bad tour operator in Probolinggo, Indonesia

I just completed a trip from Probolinggo to Bromo and then on to Ijen. Both volcanoes are really great and I would recommend them. But i will not recommend the tour operator that I went with. His name is Toly and he was introduced to me by the manager of the Panorama Hotel. When we talked, the price, pretty high, was to be with 2 people to Bromo and only me to Ijen. But when I went to Bromo there was 5 other people in the car not 2 and to Ijen 2 more people. I found out that i paid almost twice as much as what the other 2 had paid for the exact same thing.............. So if you want to go to Bromo or Ijen and It is really beautiful, check around and do not go with Toly. Also the second driver we had did not speak much English and had a really bad attitude.

7 replies to this topic
St. Gallen...
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung
reviews: 51
1. Re: Bad tour operator in Probolinggo, Indonesia

Hello,

It might be better for you to tell us the name of the company. Since there could be more than one Toly in Indonesia.. We don't want to punish the wrong Toly..

Cheers

Lombok, Indonesia
reviews: 5
2. Re: Bad tour operator in Probolinggo, Indonesia

Yes, please do be more specific, and sorry to hear of your misfortune with this dodgy dealer.

Banyuwangi...
reviews: 1
3. Re: Bad tour operator in Probolinggo, Indonesia

Hello..Friends

My friend work as tourism officer for Probolinggo Tourism Centre was ever telling me about some problems in

Probolinggo especially tour operator there. Probably it will be better for you to take the tour independently, you could find public transport such train to accomodize your travel.

It will take longer time, at least you stay away from any scams.

Altough by public transport such bus, sometime will cause trouble also.

4. Re: Bad tour operator in Probolinggo, Indonesia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 4:35 am, October 21, 2013

Wollongong...
reviews: 5
5. Re: Bad tour operator in Probolinggo, Indonesia

This kind of tactic is all over asia . In Chiang Mai I bargained a ride from the train station to where I was staying in town and got it for 50thb while most others on the songthaew paid 100thb for the same ride.

Glasgow, United...
6. Re: Bad tour operator in Probolinggo, Indonesia

I also last week had an unfortunate experience with Mr Toly's company - specifically of 'De Java Tour', location Jalan Raya Bromo Km 1, Probolinggo. I didn't stay at Panorama but coming from Yogyakarta booked whole tour thru Satu Dunia agency. You dont know who to point the finger at really, but after paying upfront my train ticket was changed, hotel was changed, didn't stay in Bromo, and a lot of time wasted waiting for them. The Bromo and Ijen hikes are memorable, but the local service wasnt good and that part is clearly Mr Toly's! The driver was friendly of course to sell me onward ticket to Bali, which turned out to be a con, where an large aircon ferry/bus ticket turned out to be little more than a dirty commuter bus which was borderline unsafe as the doors were open and the driver dumped us before Denpasar. Thanks Toly!

Glasgow, United...
7. Re: Bad tour operator in Probolinggo, Indonesia

I have also had problems and have his name clearly printed alongside his company letterhead:

Mr Toly is the boss @ 'De Java Tour', location Jalan Raya Bromo Km 1, Probolinggo.

maybe he is not alone in blame but his drivers are messing people about.

Reply to: Bad tour operator in Probolinggo, Indonesia
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted