We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Book or not to book...

Which Ngorongoro Conservation Area hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London
Book or not to book...

Hi All,

My husband and I are travelling to Tanzania in December. We arrive on 18 and want to do a safari before we start our trek up Kili on the 22.

So my question is should we book our safari before we head out there or should we chance it when we get out there to bag a better deal??

Also do you have to book the lodges independently or do they come as a package with the tour?

Any advise please... So confused!!

Pav

nyc
1. Re: Book or not to book...

You'll be smack/dab in the midst of the Holiday season where space is limited and prices the highest, especially from 20th Dec, so you might luck out on price, but not necessarily space. But wouldn't wait till arriving as you don't have time to shop around and know what you're getting.

Who is booking your Kili Trek? Most of those who do, can also arrange safari. Have you asked?

Otherwise, column to the right, FAQs, #4 down has a list of suggested in-country outfitters you can contact for info, where, lodging, prices. Select 5, send individual email with your details and await their replies and do advise your estimated budget.

The way I figure you have at least 3-full days, so can't go too far, but can visit at Tarangire and Ngorongoro before back to Moshi for Kili.

melbourne
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
2. Re: Book or not to book...

You might bag a better deal by booking when you get there. It will usually take you a few days to get something organised and as Sandi said it is peak/high season so all the good drivers and all the excellent companies will be full.

Book before hand and the operator usually gets betetr deals on accomodation. You will be paying a very high rack rate. The operator with the nett rate they pay make you some cheaper offers generally.

If you want aa safari for 3 full days -then i would go to Tarangire.

The cheaper option will be poutside the park save on park fees and then you can also do some walks and cultural stuff as well as a night game drive.

3. Re: Book or not to book...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, August 25, 2013