We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transport from Kilimanjaro/Arusha Airport to Ngorongoro??

Which Ngorongoro Conservation Area hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Balikpapan...
reviews: 37
Transport from Kilimanjaro/Arusha Airport to Ngorongoro??

Hi Everyone,

Does anyone have any idea how we can get from Kilimanjaro Airport to Ngorongoro Serena Lodge when we arrive, and then back to Arusha Airport for departure?

Any ideas and costs would be a help - I have emailed the hotel to see if they provide a transfer service, but they are still to get back to me.

Thanks in advance :)

Saint Paul...
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Serengeti National Park
reviews: 1
1. Re: Transport from Kilimanjaro/Arusha Airport to Ngorongoro??

What time do you arrive Kilimanjaro? If it's an evening flight, you really have to sleep somewhere in or near Arusha first.

As for transport to the crater from JRO, honestly, I have never heard of anyone doing that before - quite a distance. I wouldn't recommend it unless you have no choice and you arrive early morning. You might check into a flight to Lake Manyara and then travel over land from there. But in any case, you are probably best-advised to arrange in advance, likely with a tour operator or with Serena.

Balikpapan...
reviews: 37
2. Re: Transport from Kilimanjaro/Arusha Airport to Ngorongoro??

Hi Brian,

The reason we're arriving at Kilimanjaro airport is because we are flying from Nairobi and as far as I know, Arusha doesn't have immigration facilities. The flights aren't booked yet, but if you can suggest a better option, that would be great.

Based on our current plan, we would arrive at Kilimanjaro Airport at 9AM on a Tuesday. Can you fly from Kilimanjaro Airport to Lake Manyara? If so, which carrier does this?

Any advice is much appreciated!!

nyc
3. Re: Transport from Kilimanjaro/Arusha Airport to Ngorongoro??

If arriving JRO 9am and to clear Immigration, believe you've missed the "scheduled" morning flight to Lake Manyara (believe the carriers on this route all depart about 8am); next flight would be 2:30pm. Even upon arrival at Manyara, you're a good 2.5/hrs away from the Crater, but the Serena should be able to arrange this transfer (which price for same you'll incur) and then back to Manyara for return flight to JRO.

Of course, you can arrange for a private "charter" flight to/from Manyara, but it'll be expensive..

You might just be better off arranging with a local reputable outfitter in Arusha to handle your meet/greet and JRO, transfer to Crater, use guide/driver for your crater tour and return to JRO for homebound. Transfer time from JRO/NGO is about 5-5.5/hrs each way.

Good luck!

San Francisco...
reviews: 13
4. Re: Transport from Kilimanjaro/Arusha Airport to Ngorongoro??

I actually did exactly what you are asking, last week. I had to be in Dar Es Salaam and flew into JRO (Kilimanjaro airport) around 2:50 PM using precision air. Our safari/tour operator - Good Earth Tours - was waiting for me at the airport to take me to Ngorongoro the same day. It took us roughly 3 hours and they managed to get a special permit, that allows you to enter the conservation area of Ngorongoro after it closes at 6 PM. Anything later than 8 PM arrival becomes a challenge given the special permits and the need to get police protection for the night - doable but will cost a bit more than the price for the day time transfer. I was charged One way transportation of around $300 + any additional tips.

Isle of Man, United...
reviews: 199
5. Re: Transport from Kilimanjaro/Arusha Airport to Ngorongoro??

I am going to ask the $64,000 question. Why are you doing this? What do you propose to do when you get to Ngorongoro? Walk in the Crater?

6. Re: Transport from Kilimanjaro/Arusha Airport to Ngorongoro??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:33 am, February 19, 2012