We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jambo Lodge or Kudu Lodge

Which Ngorongoro Conservation Area hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bath
reviews: 23
Jambo Lodge or Kudu Lodge

We've been told that our accommodation has been switched from Jambo to Kudu. Has anyone stayed in either? Is Kudu better? We're going at the end of next month.

Arusha
1. Re: Jambo Lodge or Kudu Lodge

Hi janrhian,

In replying to your qsn, yes Kudu Lodge is nice a bit out of town. visit their web and see www.kuducamp.com and try to browse.

Thanks,

Lyne

Arusha Tanzania
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
2. Re: Jambo Lodge or Kudu Lodge

Hi

Jambo lodge is in Mto Wa Mbu, and Kudu is in Karatu, Mto Wa Mbu can be a little loud at night disco's etc Kudu is the better and very friendly helpfull staff.

Bath
3. Re: Jambo Lodge or Kudu Lodge

Many thanks to you both. As you seem experts on the area, can you help me with another thing. We are a family of four going on a safari (4 nights/5 days -I think - Northern circuit) with a local Tanzanian company (my daughter went with them on her gap year in 2007 and said they were great). The safari is reasonably priced...I think, and it'll just be us. The driver will be the guide and he and my daughter are quite friendly. What is an appropriate tip. We are not made of money but want to do the right thing and be generous. I'm presuming that everything will be great (if he turns out to be hopeless -extremely unlikely- I could adjust the tip accordingly). Also what happens in the lodges -do we buy his food or how does it work?

Once again, many thanks

nyc
4. Re: Jambo Lodge or Kudu Lodge

The cost of the guide's sleeping and meals should be included in the price you've been offered. In the evenings he will drop you at your lodging then go off with other guides for their meals/evening, then pick you up next morning. If you wish to have him join you for meals, arrange with the camp/lodge and pay for his meal.

Tipping for guide and camp/lodge staff is done at conclusion of service. If staying at lodge/camp 1/nt, then staff get tipped at shared "tip box" morning of departure... if 2/nts, then morning of 3rd day before heading to next stop.

On average Guide tips $10/day/person, so for group of 4/pax = $40. You can give more or less depending on service and your budget. For Camp/lodge staff (porters, waiters, chef, housekeeping, etc.), on average $3-$5/day/person = $12-$20 from the 4 of you +/- as your budget.

Bath
5. Re: Jambo Lodge or Kudu Lodge

Many thanks. That's useful to know.

6. Re: Jambo Lodge or Kudu Lodge

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 pm, September 19, 2009