We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gorilla trekking + Visoke or Karisimbi trekking?

Sudan
Gorilla trekking + Visoke or Karisimbi trekking?

Hi,

I am planning to spend a few days in Rwanda, maintly do gorilla trekking at the Volcanoes National Park. However, I also learned that mountain trekking at Visoke or Karisimbi is highly recommendable.

Anyone have done that, and can share experience? If I do the trekking of the susa group, around when shall I expect to be back in Ruhengeri?

Also, does anyone knows the contact info fo Gorilla's Nest Hotel? We tried to book the hotel but email (gorillanest@yahoo.fr) does not seem to work.

Thanks in advance!

New York City, New...
reviews: 13
1. Re: Gorilla trekking + Visoke or Karisimbi trekking?

I can't say anything about the mountain tracking, but we tracked the Susa Group in September, and we weren't back until around 3pm. But the time it takes depends on where the gorillas are and how difficult the hiking is to get to them. Susa generally requires the longest and most strenuous hike.

Rwanda
2. Re: Gorilla trekking + Visoke or Karisimbi trekking?

Visoke is a 4-5 hour climb, very muddy. If it is a nice day you will have lovely views and see the crater lake. If not a nice day I'd suggest you go to Karisimbi instead, which also takes about the same amount of time.

If you want to trek Susa make sure your driver/guide starts talking to the ORTPN rangers as soon as you arrive so you get on that particular trek. You will generally be back mid/late afternoon, but I've also known groups not back until 11pm - all depends on where the gorillas are!

Most businesses in Rwanda do not have regular access to email/internet/computers so always best to phone. Gorillas Nest is currently undergoing rennovation, although still open. It is owned by Dubai World so not sure if that will now continue.

Sudan
3. Re: Gorilla trekking + Visoke or Karisimbi trekking?

Guys, thank you for your reply. I will enjoy the trip more with your tips. Happy holidays!

4. Re: Gorilla trekking + Visoke or Karisimbi trekking?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, June 12, 2010