We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boat from Gisenyi to Kibuye

Washington DC...
Boat from Gisenyi to Kibuye

My friend and I will be in Gisenyi on December 17 and would love to take an affordable boat ride down to Kibuye, which is our next destination, on December 18.

Does anyone know what the likelihood of us being able to hire someone to take us is and what the price might be?

Thanks!

Rwanda
1. Re: Boat from Gisenyi to Kibuye

RDB/ORTPN supposedly run a regular boat service so you could enquire with them. Otherwise your best bet is to ask around/at your hotel in Gisenyi.

Washington DC...
2. Re: Boat from Gisenyi to Kibuye

Thanks - I appreciate your response and I've done that, but I'd really be interested in getting anecdotal evidence so that I know what's within the art of the possible.

Isle of Man, United...
reviews: 199
3. Re: Boat from Gisenyi to Kibuye

Try this. www.postcardjunky.wordpress.com If it works then scroll back to when he was in Rwanda and heading for the Congo from Busenyi. That should be anecdotal enough for you.

If the link does not work (and I am not the best at this ) Google This is Africa. It should come up.

Hey! It did work. Scroll down the page past all the bad language. It is still there.

Edited: 11:16 am, December 06, 2010
Washington DC...
4. Re: Boat from Gisenyi to Kibuye

Thanks for the link to www.postcardjunky.wordpress.com! After perusing the accounts of his several day long wait for the Bralirwa boat, I was able to get in touch with the author, Chris Vourlias, who is a travel writer. He sent me the following response:

"To the best of my knowledge, your options to go from Gisenyi to Kibuye by boat are either to do what I did - which is to go down to the waterfront in Rubona, about 6km from Gisenyi, and ask around for local boats going to Kibuye - or to go to the beachfront in Gisenyi (next to the Serena Hotel), where local companies run lake tours, including passenger boats to Kibuye. The first option is unpleasant and unpredictable: I had to wait a couple of days to get a boat, and it was a long, difficult ride. I can't say I really recommend it. The second option is fast, comfortable, but expensive: I'd be lying if I said I knew exact prices, but I think it was something in the $100/person range to go from Gisenyi to Kibuye. Like I said, there are guys with boats who congregate on the Gisenyi waterfront near the Serena Hotel, so you can just talk to them and negotiate the price."

Edited: 11:07 am, December 08, 2010
Isle of Man, United...
reviews: 199
5. Re: Boat from Gisenyi to Kibuye

Glad to help. No idea if $100pp is a fair price but if it gets you there quickly and safely it will be better than the road and maybe even fun.

Good luck.

Washington DC...
6. Re: Boat from Gisenyi to Kibuye

I have no intention of paying $100/pp if I can help it. From what I've seen on other travel forums, people have arranged their own transport for about $40, so that's my target!

Thanks again!

7. Re: Boat from Gisenyi to Kibuye

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:24 am, June 07, 2011
Get answers to your questions about Gisenyi