We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
TRAVEL ALERT: SECURITY CONCERNS More info

friend abroad

South Africa
friend abroad

hi , my daughter met this friend on facebook, he then travelled from Aberdeen - Scotland to Nigeria, the whole plan was that he would visit her here in SA in Dec , she got a message on Yahoo Messenger that he was shot (this is where they chat ) his profile was then deleted form FB , He is still in hospital in Ibadan the "doctor then communicated with her , coz funds had to come in for his OP, she paid in more that R7000.00 and today he is supposed to leave for Scotland but he needs to pay in 19000.00 nira, of which she send yesterday but the guy she send all the other money to did not pitch with this last money, i tried checking if his flight was booked for tonight but cannot find this person, can this be true?

9 replies to this topic
Kololi, Gambia
1. Re: friend abroad

This sounds very similar to the scams run on romance/dating sites.

Was the 19000 nira for BTA? This does not exist.

If he was working for a company in Nigeria his medical bills would be covered.

Did they ask for money via Western Union or similar? A legitimate hospital bill would be paid directly in to a hospital's bank account with proper invoicing and not by cash to western union.

There is a high probability that your daughter has fallen foul of a scam.

Have a look at the many threads on here about scams.

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g293824-i9115-k2…

My advice would be to cut off all communication.

Edited: 10:11 am, January 04, 2012
Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
reviews: 43
2. Re: friend abroad

Classic romance scam. Read www.romancescams.org

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
3. Re: friend abroad

Is the boyfriend a white guy? Has she met him on video cam instead of photos? There were recent cases where the scammer actually used a white guy, but the traditional scam still uses nigerians so if she has never seen the guy on live video then it sets of another red flag.

South Africa
4. Re: friend abroad

we paid all monies via Western union , so they picked up the cash, u see what happened is this friend of my daughter went to Nigeria to by IROCO wood, what was my concern is everytime she pays in money for him to leave something happens, according to him he's from ABERDEEN SCOTLAND, what got me worried is that howcome his place of work TRANSOCEAN is not looking for him, we sent three emails with as much details as we could to ABERDEEN POLICE STATION, we also learned that he lives in CHARLESTOWN but they never came back to us, so i cannot see her carrying on with paying, when will it stop, thanx for your input, Essie.

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
5. Re: friend abroad

Sounds like classic romance scam.

Chances are she met this guy online, perhaps some dating site.

A legit hospital will have their own email address, and not some free email service that the scammer would use. Also they would not use western union.

No point sending letters to aberdeen police. This guy likely a Boy in nigeria scamming out of internet cafe.

Kololi, Gambia
6. Re: friend abroad

Definitely a scam.

Sorry to hear she has been conned.

Trying to trace this guy or getting police involved will be difficult. As Maic says he is most likely operating out of an internet cafe somewhere.

Break off all contact and put it down to an expensive lesson learnt.

South Africa
7. Re: friend abroad

thanx for your time , so we know what to do now.... no more money, i just spoke to my daughter, her friend just came online this morning i just told her not to have contact with him anymore, he even had her chat to his "daughter" back in Scotland , how can u have your teenage daughter stay on her own for such a long time? this all started in November last year and after more than R7000.00 he still has not left Ibadan Royal Hospital.

Birmingham, United...
reviews: 1
8. Re: friend abroad

He won't leave either, not until he has milked the last drop of money from your daughter's bank account. If he really had a teenaged daughter in Aberdeen, why didn't he get help from his friends and family in Scotland through her? Why is a complete stranger in South Africa the only one who can help?

Please have your daughter spend some time reading the threads on the first few pages of this forum to see all the various examples of people who have fallen for a very similar scam. Some of them have lost even more than she has.

Edited: 11:32 pm, January 05, 2012
Lagos
9. Re: friend abroad

I leaved in Ibadan for over 20years, there's no such hospital. It is a scam. Please try and verify any contact from Nigeria before you involve your cash.

Reply to: friend abroad
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Ibadan
Recent Conversations
More Ibadan Topics