We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kilifi or Tiwi or where to relax with kids after work?

Which Ukunda hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London
Kilifi or Tiwi or where to relax with kids after work?

Hi All

I am going to be doing two weeks of work in Narok. Then my husband is flying out with the two kids and we want to go to the beach. I am wondering where? I want to catch the train Nairobi Mombasa and then hire a car to somewhere peaceful and non-resorty. We really just want to swim eat and wander on the beach. Any suggestions?

Amsterdam, The...
reviews: 2
1. Re: Kilifi or Tiwi or where to relax with kids after work?

i would recomend Diani or watamu. Tiwi is a very nice place to be with kid so u better go for Tiwi and arrange with a driver to pick you there i have done it several times and mostly with priority pass at the ferry to avoid the long queue.

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
reviews: 145
2. Re: Kilifi or Tiwi or where to relax with kids after work?

I would suggest Kilifi. There are virtually no beach boys to hassle you. have you considered renting a cottage or villa?

Oxford, UK
reviews: 1
3. Re: Kilifi or Tiwi or where to relax with kids after work?

When you say you want somewhere peaceful & non resorty are you also considering the size of the hotel. Tiwi isn't a small hotel and it depends where you are thinking of in Kilifi. As roadwarrior says renting a villa may be an option. However if you want a lovely small privately owned hotel have a look at Pinewood Beach on Galu Beach. Small in hotel terms, (58 rooms), beautiful beach & gardens and in a lovely remote location south of Diani. Away from the madibng crowd!!

Manchester, United...
reviews: 66
4. Re: Kilifi or Tiwi or where to relax with kids after work?

Like RW I stay in Kilifi when in Kenya and find it to be a charming typical Kenyan town, no beach boys and as the Kemri Research Programme is based in Kilifi Hospital the locals are used to Mzungus being around so they will greet you warmly but no hassle or trying to sell you things.

Bofa Beach is beautiful, again the only people you will see are the local fishermen, my grand-daughter had a great time snorkelling in the shallow waters last October.

There are some villas for rent along the beach or on the creek.

There is a company which do villa rentals Kilifi Konnection, the lady who runs it lives in the area so you are dealing with someone with local knowledge.

There are local Dhow Cruises and for the children (depending on their ages) an excellent water sports centre 3 Degrees South who are based in Kilifi Boatyard.

5. Re: Kilifi or Tiwi or where to relax with kids after work?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, February 15, 2014