We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kenya Holiday

Which Ukunda hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Swanley, United...
Kenya Holiday

I've just looked on the map and i know it sounds silly, but do I have to worry about Somalian pirates??

Newcastle upon...
reviews: 23
1. Re: Kenya Holiday

No. Unless you plan on sailing up the coast onto Somali beaches.

Swanley, United...
2. Re: Kenya Holiday

sorry, i know i sound like a loony (i'm not) it's just i thought they sailed down the coast (like the couple last year) and kidnapped you. i'm just a bit of a worrier like that!!!!

long island
reviews: 33
3. Re: Kenya Holiday

Just make sure your plans do not include any stay in Isiolo. This town lies in close proximity to Somalia and is a haven for those who escape into Kenya with the sole intent of causing mayhem. Our tour company, 2Afrika, defaulted on paying the land operator, Predators Safari Club, and it is Isiolo where they decided to leave us and 13 other travelers at the side of the road. We ended up in a fortified compound while they worried about the safety of their vehicles and trying to collect from 2Afrika. It was quite a scary experience and would have been worse had the U.S. Embassy not intervened..

Swanley, United...
4. Re: Kenya Holiday

thanks - that's made me feel a lot happier (not)!!! i thought i might be worrying over nothing after the last person messaged me but now i'm worrying even more!!! i just won't go out anywhere, i'll stay in the hotel - hopefully nothing will happen to me there!!!

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
reviews: 50
5. Re: Kenya Holiday

The coast resorts other than those in the Lamu area were always safe from the threat of pirates and the kidnap attacks as they were too far away from their bases in Somalia. You are posting on the Ukunda forum, that's about 170 miles from Lamu and about 230 miles (virtually the whole of the Kenyan coast) from the Somali border

That threat has receded anyway in the 15 months since those two incidents because of the security forces presence in the area and the fact that the Kenyan Army and African Union troops in Somalia has taken the towns that were used as bases for those attacks and forced Al Shabaab right back into a remote last outpost. The UK and US governments have withdrawn their advisories for Lamu and it is very much open for business. There has also been a big reduction in Somali piracy generally

And don't worry about Isiolo you won't go anywhere near it, it's over 350 miles from where you will be, and please don't stay in the hotel, get out and about its fascinating and perfectly safe.

Edited: 10:10 am, January 03, 2013
Swanley, United...
6. Re: Kenya Holiday

thats what i wanted to hear!! thank you very much - i do intend to go out, want to do a safari and lots of things, that's why i chose Kenya - just wanted to put my mind at rest and you have done that. i will look forward to going now :) could i also just ask you, while your here, what the weather's like in August, i've just read that it's overcast and only so many hours of sunshine - is that true??

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
7. Re: Kenya Holiday

just answered that on your other post, there's normally lots of sun but having read my reports from last year I gave you the link to, we did seem to have quite a bit of cloud last year

Swanley, United...
8. Re: Kenya Holiday

noooooooooooooooo !!! clouds????

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
9. Re: Kenya Holiday

there was still plenty of sun, enough to turn lots of British tourists into lobsters (that's why the Spanish call them Las Langostas) and it was still hot.

Swanley, United...
10. Re: Kenya Holiday

lovely jubbly - i don't go red - i just bronzy up!!! just been to the docs to see about me jabs!!