We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

some help please

Which Ukunda hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
uk
reviews: 2
some help please

my wife and i are thinking of going to kenya in sep 2013 we would like a good hotel a.i 3day safari. we wer wondering if thear was enough todo on the evening .and is it safe to wonder about day and night. sorry about the spelin .thanks

Telford, Shropshire
reviews: 66
1. Re: some help please

Hi Erictina

Depends on a lot of info you haven't given us:

Where are you staying

Have you decided which Hotel

When you ask about things to do on an evening, do you mean at the coast or on safari.

Min x

uk
2. Re: some help please

Not sure where to stay. We want a hotel on the beach but close to somewhere where we can go out of the hotel to eat or have a drink on the evenings. We have been looking at Southern Palms, Mnarani Club or the Baobab Beach Resort for when we are at the beach. Not sure where to stay when on Safari and have no idea what to expect. Suggestions will be very welcome. Thanks

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
reviews: 3
3. Re: some help please

Southern Palms & Baobab is in Diani. Mnarani is in Kilifi

Diani has a better & wider choice of restaurants compared to Kilifi.

Ali Barbours Cave, Allielo, Sher 'e' Punjab, 40 Thieves are very good restaurants in Diani.

The closest NP from the coast would be Tsavo (apprs 3 hrs driving time)

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
reviews: 46
4. Re: some help please

Hi,

Southern Palms and Baobab are on the South Coast (south of Mombasa) this area has very good beaches and some local bars and restaurants outside the resorts. As with any of the coastal resort areas it is safe to walk around during the day but take a taxi door to door at night (apart from anything else there is little street lighting). You access the South Coast via Mombasa Town and a ferry, the ferry makes the transfer a bit longer.

The main area for UK package tour hotels was until recently Mombasa North Coast, but they have recently started concentrating on the South Coast instead. The North Coast is more developed, the beaches aren't as nice, but it has more attractions (water park, Haller Park, Cinema, go kart, much easier to access Mombasa Old Town for example), much bigger choice of restaurants and bars. The transfer is quicker as it is accessed from Mombasa island by bridge, and the resort areas are closer. It is a lot quieter than it used to be, one of the reasons being the UK tour companies switching to the South Coast

Mnarani is at Kilifi, a village on a creek about another 30 miles north of the North Coast resort areas. Lovely beach, and a few options for eating and drinking away from the hotel

Amsterdam, The...
5. Re: some help please

go for baobab i found it to be very nice and they have a very lovely beach too, thou there maybe delay on ferry during transfer unless you use the private drivers with complementary pass they dont que. All the best.

Leeds, UK
reviews: 3
6. Re: some help please

I just got back from Diani Sea Resort .... it was fabulous. The first two days we chilled and then we went on safari to Masai Mara...... we booked with First Choice but would not do so again..much cheaper and simple to book there. The second week we explored a bit more .... across the road there was a bar/food court which we went to three times think it was called Ushango or something similar. African Pot was very good...food delicious and well priced.

It felt safe enough to go out and about during the day and we used taxis at night ...be sure to ask a local what the fare should be !

i loved it and will be going back next year.

Redruth, United...
reviews: 6
7. Re: some help please

We have just returned from the baobab, there did not seem to be much else around that area to walk to and the guards advise against walking in the evening, there is a cavern restaurant within taxi ride, when the tide is in there isn't really any beach to walk on!

That aside, it is a lovely beach to walk along during the day, the beachboys aren't really a problem if you are polite to them

Swanley, United...
8. Re: some help please

just read that you went to kenya in august - i too have booked for august and just wondered what the weather was like for you because i've just read that it's cold and overcast and you only have a few hours of sunshine - i'm hoping that's rubbish!!! could you enlighten me.

Thanks

Nairobi
9. Re: some help please

Hi,

Talk to this lady - Felistus - on 0722730591. She runs Oakland Tours and Travels and has excellent choice on places to visit and shall advise you well. I stay in Kenya, and August weather is not so lousy though the evenings can be a bit chilly. It is our winter but the temperature mostly stays on double digits. It also majorly depends on which part of Kenya you are in, coastal region and the low-lying areas are generally warmer

Mombasa, Kenya
10. Re: some help please

August in Mombasa is lovely, nice breeze and not too hot. Day temperature is approximately 26-28 Celcius, night around 22 or so. It can be overcast for a couple of hours but generally practically no rain, and overcast is not daily. For us, who live here, August & September are our favourite months!

Nairobi and highlands are quite a bit cooler, especially at night in August.

Also on the subject of ferry crossing earlier in this thread. There are no complimentary passes which allow queue jumping, these are priority passes and as they are expensive taxis do not have them. Sometimes private cars or taxis jump the queue as the drivers give bribes at the gate, but the management of Kenya Ferry Servces have been receiving a lot of complaints from priority pass holders and are clamping down on corruption, quite a few cars have been sent back to the end of the queue lately although some still manage to go through.

However generally the situation at the ferry has improved quite a lot and even though there are occasional queues, it is much better than before new ferries arrived in 2010. Obviously at rush hour traffic is heavier (morning to Mombasa town and evening to the South Coast), also at Easter and Christmas when a lot of people come to the coast in their cars. I go across nearly every day 4-6 time on weekdays and sometimes at the weekends, so this is a first hand report! :)