We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family trip, fun for children

Which Naivasha hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
xxx
reviews: 2
Family trip, fun for children

We want a getaway. We are a family with a 5 yr old and a small baby plus parents. Because of the baby, don't want to go too far from family n not interested in safaris, etc, e.g. Masai Mara. Naivasha seems to be suitable but none of us have been there. Are there any other places? We want a place the kid would enjoy.malu farm seems good but some reviews say no value for money..not sure wht their rates are right now. Where do you guys suggest we should go as a family not too far from Nairobi?

13 replies to this topic
Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
reviews: 11
1. Re: Family trip, fun for children

Mara is a long drive, & with the kids can get exhaustive.

I think Naivasha is the perfect getaway for the family. Its only 90 mins drive from NBO. There's heaps to do in Naivasha like boat rides on lake to see hippos, trekking to Hells gate, visit to Crescent Island, game drive to Crater Lake.

For accommodation options:

http://www.deasgardens.com/about_us.html

http://sanctuaryfarmkenya.com/

http://www.elsamere.com/

Other option is Sweetwaters & Ol Pajeta, but Naivasha is still best bet.

Edited: 12:31 am, December 16, 2013
Nairobi
2. Re: Family trip, fun for children

I would suggest Naivasha. Lake Naivasha is a wonderful place to visit especially if you take a boat ride around the Lake to see the Fish Eagles; fish feeding for the eagles is great to take pictures.

Nairobi, Kenya
reviews: 1
3. Re: Family trip, fun for children

You can visit Masai Mara on a flying package for the young one not to be too tired. Mara Intrepids: Overlooking the Talek River Rivers, at the very confluence of the Mara’s four game-viewing areas, Mara Intrepids enjoys one of the most spectacular locations in the world’s best-known wilderness. Also one of their best known activities for kids is the Adventures Club, recommended for children accompanying their parents on safari this family program provides an fun and exciting opportunity for the kids to learn about the wild from our Maasai naturalists who specialize in plants, wildlife and survival skills. Children will be edu-tained through various activities and facilities on-site including an obstacle course that portrays the challenges wild animals face, don’t be suprised if you child comes out looking like Mowgli from Rudyard Kipling’s all time favourite Jungle Book.

Oakland, CA
reviews: 179
4. Re: Family trip, fun for children

Well, not a native opinion here, but...I'd vote for sweet Sweetwaters, as mentioned by Stefanilarda.

I woud NOT recco Sanctuary Farm if you do go to Naivasha. I (a tourist) and my three Nairobi friends thought it was waayyy overpriced. Worse, the area near the "stable rooms" where the bedrooms are was inundated with mosquitoes. It required loads of repellent --not always effective--to survive the bombardment.

xxx
5. Re: Family trip, fun for children

Thanks for the feedback. Wht accommodation would you suggest between elsamere, naivasha country club n sopa? Which is value for money? Soap looks good in pics but pricier. Im tempted with. The country club but the rooms don't look comfortable n I'm traveling with a few months old baby..but maybe the pics don do justice? Wht do u suggest? We also want a place a 5 yr old kid would enjoy. Thanks

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
6. Re: Family trip, fun for children

Country Club has a long history as being one of the first lake front hotels to be built in Naivasha. Recently, it was bought by Sun Africa & gone thro' extreme makeover. The entire hotel has been refurbished.

I've stayed at all 3 places. Elsamere is great too, but lacks amenities to have kids entertained. Sopa is also very good, built on nice grounds with Spa, Sauna, Pool, GYM,etc.etc... Sopa is more modern.

I guess, with the kids, you'll be more comfortable at Sopa. Go for Sopa

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g317067-d159032…

Edited: 1:09 am, December 18, 2013
xxx
7. Re: Family trip, fun for children

Thanks for the info Stef.

We are getting a better deal price wise at country club...but sopa still looks tempting because the rooms look clearner/nicer in the pics, where as the country club ones look run down (maybe after makeover they are better?)..that's the main thing for me..because of the kids.

Also, do animals come to country club grounds as they do to sopa? That and the look of the rooms is what's making me lean towards sopa..but i personally am drawn towards country club's colonial feel and also better price..

Also, don't really care about pool..

what do you say??

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
8. Re: Family trip, fun for children

Personally. I prefer Country Club to Sopa.

Country Club is enclosed bushy scrubs so animals can't venture into the hotel. On occasion, hippos wander in. Sopa is Full Board, are you getting FB or HB at Country Club ?

xxx
9. Re: Family trip, fun for children

We are getting full board at Country Club..didnt really think about the HB option.

I checked out the Sun Africa website an country club looks really nice..anyway let's see. I 'll keep you posted on what place we end up going to.

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
10. Re: Family trip, fun for children

Good luck.

Make it a point to visit Hells Gate. Parts of TombRaider was shot there. A friend has confirmed that a swimming pool has been constructed to siphon natural hot water springs (somewhere at Hells Gate).

Crater Lake is also WOW. Worth exploring the location as there's game there too.

Reply to: Family trip, fun for children
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted