We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Organising trip to Masai Mara from Naivasha

Which Naivasha hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Barcelona...
reviews: 15
Organising trip to Masai Mara from Naivasha

Hi there,

I'm going to Kenya next week, first stop Naivasha and was hoping to organise onward travel from there. We'd like to get to Masai Mara, I know it's late in the day to book a safariin early August but, unfortunately, forward planning was not possible!

Is it possible to plan the safari + transport to Masai Mara from Naivasha?

We'd then be making our way towards the coast, with a stop in the Kilamanjaro area (which will mean a border crossing into Tanzania)

Thanks for ur help!!

Tam

nyc
1. Re: Organising trip to Masai Mara from Naivasha

Can't advise re transport from Naivasha to Mara and from there via Kilimanjaro to the Coast.

But you should know that if crossing the border you will require another Visa USD$50 and absolutely MUST have a Yellow Fever inoculation with proof of same for entry and back again into Kenya.

I'd suggest you stay on the Kenya side and if for a 'view only' of Kili, the best place is on the Kenya side at Amboseli or Tsavo West if the mountain isn't covered in clouds which it is often.

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
reviews: 3
2. Re: Organising trip to Masai Mara from Naivasha

Most safaris to the Mara are planned for & start from Nairobi. There could be one-off local Tour Operator based in Naivasha, but not advisable on using them. Try to plan for Mara from NBI.

Nairobi
3. Re: Organising trip to Masai Mara from Naivasha

Yes it is possible only if you can arrange to fly from Naivasha to Masai mara, there is a schedule safarilink flight that departs round about 3pm, you should book accomodation in advance and arrange with the lodge to pick you from the airstrip to the lodge and game drives . This will also mean flying to Wilson, get a tour operator to arrange road transport to Amboseli for an overnight to view Kilimanjaro, then fly to Mombasa from Amboseli on Mombasa air safari.

Good luck

Allan

Baltimore, Maryland
4. Re: Organising trip to Masai Mara from Naivasha

Its very possible to start your safari from Naivasha. Having stayed there for over 10 years, I should say even most of the safaris starts there. Most of the clients who are going to masai mara and dont want to spend the night in the noisy city usually transfer their guest to naivasha and then to masai mara. There are a very trusted tour operators in Naivasha with very experienced staff.

Baltimore, Maryland
5. Re: Organising trip to Masai Mara from Naivasha

STEFANILARDA, why is it not advisable to use the local tour operators in Naivasha?. Have you forgot that Naivasha is the second in the record of most visited places in Kenya from mombasa?. I think they are not recommended for bad services. What I know is that the quality service depends with the quality staff you work with but not the location. Most of the operators have even moved there businesses to there homes since every thing nowadays is online and finds no need for renting expensive offices. To operate a tour company its not a must you be in the city, I have even been corned by tour operators!!.

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
reviews: 3
6. Re: Organising trip to Masai Mara from Naivasha

Well then - Good Luck !!

Baltimore, Maryland
7. Re: Organising trip to Masai Mara from Naivasha

ALLANCHASI, Starting a safari from Naivasha is the same as those safari programs that stars from nairobi-samburu-nakuru-naivasha-masai mara! from Naivasha they dont take flights to masai mara, why do you say "it is possible only if you can arrange to fly from Naivasha to Masai mara" you are misreading this client.

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
reviews: 145
8. Re: Organising trip to Masai Mara from Naivasha

Tam, most reputable tour operators are based in Nairobi, as the majority of clients would commence their safari from Nairobi. Can you not arrange your safari from Nairobi? The alternative would be to take public transport from Naivasha to Narok, and then Narok to Talek. At Talek there are a number of basic accommodation options, and vehicles that you can rent with a guide.

How will you get from Mara to Mombasa?

Remember that Kenya is not as developed in tourism, so forward planning is key.

Baltimore, Maryland
9. Re: Organising trip to Masai Mara from Naivasha

ROADWARRIORAFRICA, point of correction, i think you have never been keen to know how the tour operators work, they are in Nairobi because of the airport terminal. Actually most of the safaris dont start from Nairobi, after picking the clients from the airport you can transfer them in the hotel of there wish. A tour operator is there for all safaris either in Nairobi or outside Nairobi. If a client make a call from samburu to be picked and start the safari from there, they will go for that and many more other destinations. Not a must for the safaris to start in Nairobi. I have witnessed so many clients that wish to start there safaris from naivasha as they dont want the noisy city. I dont understand why you advise to take public transport from Naivasha to Narok, and then Narok to Talek while they can just start the safari from Naivasha. Naivasha has already overtook Nakuru in tour business as there are several tour operators that are doing great job.

10. Re: Organising trip to Masai Mara from Naivasha

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, August 26, 2014