We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yellow fever vaccination, Zanzibar

Which Kisumu hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Manchester, United...
reviews: 1
Yellow fever vaccination, Zanzibar

Travelling to Zanzibar via Nairobi, Kenya - do we require vacination if only passing through airport, advice confusing

17 replies to this topic
manchester, United...
reviews: 48
1. Re: Yellow fever vaccination, Zanzibar

I'd love a difinitive answer on this one. I'v read so many times that you do need yellow fever travelling from Kenya to Tanzania but to be honest I have never had to show my yellow fever ticket anywhere in the world......including Tanzania and Zanzibar.

Looking forward to the experts reply.

Washington DC...
reviews: 9
2. Re: Yellow fever vaccination, Zanzibar

A definitive answer on this may be hard to come by, but I think most would tell you to get the shot. Being asked for the certificate seems to be hit or miss (last time I hit DAR an official asked for my certificate, but as I searched for it, the official grew a little impatient and told me to forget it), but if you're asked for one and don't have it you could end up with the options of getting the shot on arrival or being denied entry. And coming through Kenya is not the deciding factor; it's entering Tanzania that matters.

See the following which seems to require a shot for entry into Zanzibar:

thecitizen.co.tz/news/4-national-news/7862-c…

manchester, United...
reviews: 48
3. Re: Yellow fever vaccination, Zanzibar

Cheers Steve - much appreciated.

Manchester, United...
4. Re: Yellow fever vaccination, Zanzibar

Thanks for quick response, the news article seems pretty definite and I think it will be safest all round to get them done, hopefully I can get them done this week !

nyc
5. Re: Yellow fever vaccination, Zanzibar

It can be 'hit-or-miss' as to whether you will be asked to show your certificate, but the requirement is that you DO have the inoculation and proof of same when entering Tanzania from Kenya; likewise to Zanzibar.

However, if ONLY TRANSITING thru Nairobi, not leaving the airport, you won't require it, assuming your original country of arrival isn't another Yellow Fever endemic country, whether in Africa, South America, or others.

But, as mentioned above, if asked and you don't have you might very well be offered the inoc on site (cost, I believe is $50) or not permitted entry.

Unless for qualified reasons: allergic to eggs, in contraindication with other meds being taken, suppressed immune systems or age, should not have, then there is a 'waiver' that has to be provided to Immigration. Such 'waiver' form as indicated on the Tanzania Tourism/Embassy site, or on your physicians letterhead, the reason for not having it.

The inoc is expensive; some people might have a sore arm for a day or two, but rarely other side-effects. But know that this inoc lasts for 10/years and might be needed for entry to other countries during that period of time.

Edited: 11:11 am, January 22, 2012
Washington DC...
6. Re: Yellow fever vaccination, Zanzibar

The Tanzania Tourist Board, the official website for Tanzania says the following:

What medical precautions should we take?

Vaccination requirements change from time to time. We suggest you consult your local doctor or health department for information on the latest health precautions. Currently, shots against Yellow fever and cholera are recommended but not mandatory. As a precaution we usually advise anti-malarial drugs to be taken before, during and after your visit to East Africa. Also, if you are on prescription medication, please ensure you have an adequate supply to last the duration of your stay and a copy of your prescription(s).

The Tanzania High Commision in the UK says the following:

7. Is Yellow fever vaccination (Y.F.V.) necessary?

Answer. It is not compulsory, if you are travelling straight to Tanzania from U.K. or just connecting flights from any airports in the World. (If you are entering Tanzania through other Countries, please refer to the visa section of our website for more information,).

Nevertheless, you may well be asked for the certificate regardless of the advice given at the above websites, so best to have it.

Edited: 11:41 am, January 22, 2012
Manchester, United...
7. Re: Yellow fever vaccination, Zanzibar

Well here's the final outcome - you don't need yellow fever if travelling through Kenya and your stay in Airport is less than 12 hours - thats the official line. I was however like everyone else asked for certificate when we arrived at Zanzibar but a quick explanation I had only passed through Kenya airport was accepted and we were let through.

Washington DC...
8. Re: Yellow fever vaccination, Zanzibar

Thanks for the update. Glad to hear you got through with no problems.

Glasgow, United...
9. Re: Yellow fever vaccination, Zanzibar

they do check for yellow fewer in tz aports, at dar or jro or znz, and aport have nurses to give jabs and have to be paid too,

best to take it befo and get the side effects and symptoms over with, just in case, unless anyone over 60 then should carry gp's letter,

it will only cause delays at aport if you are without it, but it may be cheaper in tz than paying gp £45 in uk,

but on border crossing from mba to tanga (tz), or nbo to lunga lunga (arusha, tz) its not an issue, crossed last year and was not asked at all,

Liverpool, United...
10. Re: Yellow fever vaccination, Zanzibar

hi, I am leaving for tanzania in 2 weeks, and was advised by my nurse not to have the yellow fever jab, however I have read that Zanzibar requires the certificate to enter. does anyone have any more information on this? I am flying to dar to get my visa and then on to mwanza for 2 weeks and then to zanzibar for a couple of days at the end.

thanks for any help.

Reply to: Yellow fever vaccination, Zanzibar
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted