We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sand boarding on Mt Yasur

Which Tanna Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne
Sand boarding on Mt Yasur

Hi travellers!

Has anyone sand boarded on Mt Yasur? Can anyone give me any information on tour companies that do this or how I go about hiring a board?

I am looking at doing an overnight trip from Port Vila and would like to visit Mt Yasur volcano at sunset/night then sand board the next morning before flying back to Port Vila.

Would also appreciate any information about where to stay in Tanna as I have heard that transfers to and from the airport can be an issue. Also a good tour company to book for the volcano visit.

I have looked at doing an all inclusive overnight tour from Port Vila but there is no time on the following day for any activities before returning to Port Vila.

Lots of questions I know but any information would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

Australia
Destination Expert
for Port Vila, Vanuatu
reviews: 69
1. Re: Sand boarding on Mt Yasur

We stay at Tanna Evergreen Resort & Tours. There are various levels of accommodation available from 3500vt pp per night to 12000vt for ocean front ensuite bungalow with fantastic views, private deck etc. They do day and evening tours to the volcano plus many other interesting tours such as Yakel custom village. The evening tour leaves the resort at 3pm for the 1.5 hr cross country trip (which is fun in itself) and you walk up the rim of the volcano from a carpark 100m below after crossing the creeks and ash plains. If it rains you can get stranded on the volcano side of the island as the creeks are prone to flash floods so its sometimes best to stay on the airport side of the island just in case, if you only are staying 1 night (its best to stay 3 nights so you can see a bit of the real Vanuatu culture and get a second chance if the weather isn't in your favour). Re sandboarding:

vanuatuinformation.com/things-to-see-do/…

Have fun

Port Vila, Vanuatu
reviews: 12
2. Re: Sand boarding on Mt Yasur

Q: Has anyone sand boarded on Mt Yasur?

...Yes and it's a real drag, don't get your hopes high. Boards are left over’s from previous visitors and not in the best order (bring your own board & wax if you want to do it).

Q: Can anyone give me any information on tour companies that do this or how I go about hiring a board?

...No tour companies do this except the local bungalows near the volcano as a low key activity.

Q: I am looking at doing an overnight trip from Port Vila and would like to visit Mt Yasur volcano at sunset/night then sand board the next morning before flying back to Port Vila.

...Not really possible as the resorts that handle O/N tours (Tanna Evergreen Resort & Tours does most of them for all airlines) are all on the airport side & depart early the next morning. If you must Ash Board then you would need to stay a min of two nights (Tanna is worth more than two nights anyway).

Q: Would also appreciate any information about where to stay in Tanna as I have heard that transfers to and from the airport can be an issue.

...Transfers (may be) an issue only if you are staying on the volcano side of the island.

Q: Also a good tour company to book for the volcano visit.

...All the accommodation providers organize their own transfers & tours.

Q: I have looked at doing an all inclusive overnight tour from Port Vila but there is no time on the following day for any activities before returning to Port Vila.

...Correct, the planes cannot sit around in Tanna, they have other day tours to do.

My images of the volcano & ash boarding can be found here:

https:/…

Cheers,

Edited: 3:44 am, June 12, 2013
3. Re: Sand boarding on Mt Yasur

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, June 14, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Tanna Island