We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

can any one know driver from Tanna can introduce to us?

Which Tanna Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chengdu, China
reviews: 3
can any one know driver from Tanna can introduce to us?

i want to come to Tanna for 3days,stay in west side,but the tour cost way too much from hotel,they want to charge us custom village and Volcano 17000 for person...especially we are couple...

i know usually cost to volcano side is 2500vt for 1people one way,so i really want to hire car or find another driver to do this...

if u know someone can drive us,please give us his phone number

or email us:catherina1988@qq.com

thanks

Australia
Destination Expert
for Port Vila, Vanuatu
reviews: 57
1. Re: can any one know driver from Tanna can introduce to us?

Do you mean the tour from your hotel in Port Vila is too expensive or your hotel (bungalow) on Tanna??

The entrance alone to the volcano area is 4000vt per person and is part of your ticket price.

The transport from the airport side with the tour is about 5500vt .....Total 95000vt from some where like Tanna Evergreen. There are very few vehicles on Tanna as they are difficult to get here and maintain and the roads are very rough which is why transport is difficult and expensive...cars dont last long here. There are very few buses.

I would do a different tour with another resort if you are not happy with the price or just do the volcano tour on its own. A village tour on its own would also be about 6-8000vt on its own as the custom villages are a fair distance away and the village has to also be paid.

Have fun whatever you end up doing.

Newcastle, Australia
2. Re: can any one know driver from Tanna can introduce to us?

When your plane arrives in Tanna there will always be some trucks there to meet the plane. Some of these are private vehicles, some are public transport vehicles. Just tell someone that you need transport and negotiate on a price. You will find it is cheaper if you go with some other people and spread the cost of transport over a larger number of people.

I know that Louis from North Tanna was doing regular trips to Mt Yasur, maybe ask if he is in town.

Port Vila, Vanuatu
reviews: 4
3. Re: can any one know driver from Tanna can introduce to us?

I have been to the volcano about 3 times and not possible to hire car to do. If it has rained, you often need extra boys in back to push 4wd through mud up the side of volcano. I recommend you stay overnight and go on a Friday and do Volcano and John Frum village friday night. During daytime you won't see much at volcano. It truely comes alive after dark with amazing explosions every about 8 minutes. John and Sylvanna at Tanna Evergreen Resort has good value accommodation and meals, plus tours and transfers. They have many many years experience living on Tanna. Also do Yakel Village, it is amazing in their nambas, The Cathedral Banyan is also awesome.

Edited: 9:09 am, May 19, 2013
Tanna Island...
4. Re: can any one know driver from Tanna can introduce to us?

Hi Catherina,

Tanna for 3days is a good idea as there a lot to see. Staying on the west side is also a good idea as you have reliable services & infrastructure.

Remember that your tours from proper accommodation providers (registered & operating with expected Duty of Care plus Health & Safety practices) come with full liability insurance, include entry fees, government taxes, driver/guide, depreciation/repairs & maintenance of vehicle (AUD$15,000 a year per vehicle), whereby the majority of bungalow tours include a vehicle and a driver, that’s it...some are not even registered operators.

Our costs for the following tours are:

Volcano: 9,000 vatu pp

Louinio Custom village (the Nambas authentic one): 7,000 vatu pp

Total: 16,000 pp (roughly AUD $176 pp).

Not sure where you obtained a quote for 2,500, certainly not from the West side as we are the cheapest tour operator on this coastline, it would be on the East side where you would pay to get there first and pay entrance fees separately. The custom village is further from the East side, the volcano is furthest from the West side, so it balances out.

Tanna has no hire car operator, only Taxis & tour vehicles.

Cheers,

John

5. Re: can any one know driver from Tanna can introduce to us?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, June 03, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Tanna Island