We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is 2 weeks in Tanna too long?

Which Tanna Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
NSW Australia
reviews: 4
Is 2 weeks in Tanna too long?

Is 2 weeks on Tanna too long? I like the idea of really getting the feel of a place and hopefully getting to know some of the locals. But don't want to get bored. We are staying in Vanuatu for 3 weeks. I was thingking of 2 weeks chilling out on Tanna and a week in PV. Any thoughts?

Newcastle, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vanuatu
1. Re: Is 2 weeks in Tanna too long?

I would think yes. The pace of life is a lot slower in Tanna and there are fewer things to do there. I would suggest a week at the most.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vanuatu, Port Vila, Espiritu Santo
reviews: 19
2. Re: Is 2 weeks in Tanna too long?

As beautiful as the remote islands are, I agree with hindo.

Unless you're like Ozzy from Survivor you'll be looking forward to some cafes, restaurants and shops by the end of a week.

Efate has a few options as well.

There are surf beach options, fathomless harbour options and tiny island options like Hideaway, all within a half hour drive of downtown Vila.

So you can head out to other parts around the island or to other islands close by like Lelepa, Pele and Moso.

Hope this helps,

Jen

Adelaide
3. Re: Is 2 weeks in Tanna too long?

I think it depends on what you want to do in Vanuatu. There is so much to do on Tanna even apart from the volcano. We spent 4 nights there earlier this year, and would easily have filled that time again. It's definitely not the place for you if you want pampered luxury. There are only a handful of 'resorts' with western comforts and even those are definitely not five star. There are many locally owned bungalows which have very basic facilities. Read through the forum here, and the reviewed accommodation, to get a feel for the place.

Another possibility to break the two remaining weeks between Tanna and Santo. They are very different islands, both worth spending a week enjoying. Again, it depends on what you want to do, and what you expect from your holiday.

Cheers, Barbara

NSW Australia
4. Re: Is 2 weeks in Tanna too long?

Thanks so much for the responses.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Port Vila, Vanuatu
reviews: 56
5. Re: Is 2 weeks in Tanna too long?

I agree with the others, probably a week is enough unless you just want to relax on a beach and snorkel fantastic reefs for longer. There are lots of tours available ...we easily filled a week with a couple of rest days just swimming etc. We stayed at Tanna Evergreen which is a good compromise between the more expensive Whitegrass resort and the bungalows nearer the volcano. Still some creature comforts, a varied menu, fairly close to Lenakel & the airport so you wont be stranded if the weather sets in.

A good mix would be a week on Santo, Tanna and Efate as Barb suggests.

Have fun planning!

Port Vila
6. Re: Is 2 weeks in Tanna too long?

Thats a lot of time to relax! I wouldnt recommend staying more than a week on Tanna. Try island hopping, go to Santo, Epi, Banks is also beautiful. Efate also has a lot to do and the road around the island is tar sealed. Spend most of your time on Efate and Santo but definitely go on short trips to the outer islands.

7. Re: Is 2 weeks in Tanna too long?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:16 pm, December 16, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Tanna Island