We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Tanna Toka.

Which Tanna Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Port Vila, Vanuatu
reviews: 12
The Tanna Toka.

The Nekowiar & Toka Ceremony

The largest cultural reunion in Vanuatu is the Nekowiar (more commonly referred as the Toka). Up to 4,000 people spend up to 3 days and nights together. Celebrating the reunion of villages, organising marriages, and other important inter tribal agreements. Taking up to a year to organise. It is more often performed at two to three year intervals and held late in the year. The atmosphere and intensity of the dancing increases with every dance. The Toka is performed on the second morning and reaches climax that evening.

On the third day after much traditional dancing, the hundred or so pigs are slaughtered and cooked. The morning killing of pigs symbolises the cleansing of all sins, following the previous night of intent "sinning" (where consenting adults are permitted to indulge in their sexual pursuits...). Much kava and lap lap is consumed in an awesome feast. It is hard to know the exact date of the Toka, so one must allow at least 2 weeks in the country to be able to jump on a plane as soon as its announced a few days prior to its start. Here is a friends images on the 2006 Toka (they follow a set program so you can exect the same.

https:/…5760141416250936497

Adelaide
1. Re: The Tanna Toka.

Now, THAT sounds like a party!! :) So are you two planning to attend?? You really should, in the name of research and all .... pics please!

Port Vila, Vanuatu
2. Re: The Tanna Toka.

As the date (around August) becomes more defined....will only know a week or so before, I will start to make arrangements for those who want (can) join me. Might camp in tents up there (deep in the jungle)...will see.

The location this year is a great one (been to a Toka in this spot before).

Edited: 3:51 pm, July 01, 2012
Port Vila, Vanuatu
3. Re: The Tanna Toka.

Here are the images of another Toka I attended for those interested in seeing more:

https:/…

Brisbane, Australia
reviews: 34
4. Re: The Tanna Toka.

What lovely photos John. Wish I could be there....sometime I will make it.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Port Vila, Vanuatu
reviews: 57
5. Re: The Tanna Toka.

Can you ask them to delay it til September John? Bahahaha!..next year....*sigh*

Adelaide
6. Re: The Tanna Toka.

Now how good would a special meet-up for TA regulars at a Toka! A party on top of a party on top of a party!

Port Vila, Vanuatu
7. Re: The Tanna Toka.

The latest pics from rehearsal of mens dance by a couple of villages. The full dance will include hundreds of men.

Cheers,

John

Port Vila, Vanuatu
8. Re: The Tanna Toka.

Oops...

https:/…5765335156258299249

Edited: 6:38 am, July 15, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
reviews: 136
9. Re: The Tanna Toka.

Can you day trip to It?

Port Vila, Vanuatu
10. Re: The Tanna Toka.

You could if you are here on the day, but it will include some hiking through jungle. We still do not know when it's on ...in about three weeks I was told by the chief (in the pic).

Get answers to your questions about Tanna Island