We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Blue Cave of Tanna, anyone been there?

Which Tanna Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane
reviews: 13
Blue Cave of Tanna, anyone been there?

Hi,

I saw a few pictures of this place and found it to be quite cool, but I can only find limited info on this. Any one been there personally and can share whether this place is worthwhile to go or not?

Thanks a lot :)

Will

Port Vila, Vanuatu
reviews: 12
11. Re: Blue Cave of Tanna, anyone been there?

Hi Laura,

Getting there and price (expect somewhere around $70, some tour operators include lunch & entry fees) will depend on where you are staying.

The Blue Cave is on the airport side where Rocky Ridge, White Grass Ocean Resort and Tanna Evergreen Resort & Tours are located.

Best to book when you are here on Tanna (the day before).

Cheers,

John

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 15
12. Re: Blue Cave of Tanna, anyone been there?

hi Vanuatu local, i hope alls well...

i read your old post RE: MV Havannah... back from 2009...is it still running?

in your opinion what is the best way to get from Noumea to Tanna without flying, PLEASE...

i plan to be there about late march/early april,

thanks

shane

Tanna Island...
13. Re: Blue Cave of Tanna, anyone been there?

Hi Shane,

I believe thaty the MV Havannah still operates but where I am not sure.

All I am sure off is that it does not come to Tanna.

For the present flying to Noumea from Vila NOT Tanna (no direct flights between the two airports), is the only option you have unless you can get on the yachties network and see if they need a deckhand & they are going there.

Edited: 2:28 pm, January 24, 2013
Tanna Island...
14. Re: Blue Cave of Tanna, anyone been there?

Hmmm ...TA Log In would not accept my "vanuatulocal" log in so had to make a new Avatar...bit weird.

Cheers,

John

Edited: 6:29 pm, January 24, 2013
Sydney, Australia
15. Re: Blue Cave of Tanna, anyone been there?

thanks John, i appreciate your reply...

if i understand correctly, there used to be a "ferry service" between Noumea and Vila... and the Havannah may have been on that route, but U are saying there is no longer ANY SERVICE of any kind? bummer, i was trying to avoid flying....

what about info on the "inter-island " ferry/s that run between TANNA, VILA, and Santo ( my final destination in Vanuatu), i also want to stop at Ambrae and Ambrym on the way between Vila and Santo... where can i get an idea of the timetable, what days of the week etc.. please

thanks again

shane

Adelaide
16. Re: Blue Cave of Tanna, anyone been there?

Seriously, unless you have a really amazingly good reason, give 'ferries' a miss and fly. The MV Brisk and MV Tina are the most well known cargo vessels and they are notoriously unreliable with their timetable. The fares are not much cheaper than flying, and the facilities for passengers are basic. I'm sure it would be an interesting experience, but unless you have endless time in which to travel, I wouldn't bother. You could wait days for a boat at any given place and it still decides not to stop there that visit.

Give Vanuatu Travel in Port Vila either a phone call or email and they might be able to help with a rough idea of where the cargo boats stop and when.

Cheers, Barbara

Australia
Destination Expert
for Port Vila, Vanuatu
reviews: 57
17. Re: Blue Cave of Tanna, anyone been there?

Info on transport options Shane:

lonelyplanet.com/vanuatu/…getting-around

Dont hesitate to contact Vanuatu Tourism to get up to date info.

Sydney, Australia
18. Re: Blue Cave of Tanna, anyone been there?

thanks and sorry about derailing the thread everyone...

thanks to Barbara too...

has anyone got a website for the catamaran DIEPSEA

it runs between Vila and Santo and also goes to Tanna, Ambrae and Ambrym too... i need to know what days of the week it leaves each of the above islands, please

shane

Tanna Island...
19. Re: Blue Cave of Tanna, anyone been there?

Sound advice from Barbara, as timetables & boats change routes all the time it is difficult to keep track (had one young couple arrive to Tanna from Port Vila by cargo ship. It took them 32 hours, they had to "sleep" on the deck (deck full with local Nivans & their cargo/animals) outside the passengers WC which was blocked, the ocean was rough so in addition to most being seasick, they had to lie in human excrement flowing out of the only place people could go.....this is just a small excerpt of their experience.

the only boat I know off that is passenger friendly is the Big Sista. It is captained by Shawn Winslet (son of George Winslet for those in the know). Best to Google it and find feedback on this. It only operates in the north.

I do not know the Diepsea.

Adelaide
20. Re: Blue Cave of Tanna, anyone been there?

The Diepsea is mentioned in the link that P&L posted, Shane. Scroll down and you will see it first under "Sea". There is an email address and phone number. If you don't have luck with these, get in contact with Vanuatu Tourism in Port Vila.

Get answers to your questions about Tanna Island