We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay in Tanna?

Which Tanna Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Adelaide, Australia
Where to stay in Tanna?

Hi all,

I'm tossing up between staying in Evergreen or Sunset Bungalows in Tanna, and notice quite a difference in price, but would love to hear some opinions on what might be best. We're pretty "rugged" people who go camping often, but it may also be nice to have some good views, etc.

The town markets also sound interesting... is it easy enough to get into the town from either accommodation place?

Thanks for your help!

Luke.

New Zealand
reviews: 199
1. Re: Where to stay in Tanna?

It's very easy to get into Lenakel from Evergreen. I went with the resort staff on their shopping trip, leaving at 7.30am. There also seem to be buses running along the road outside, and there are taxis too. I think the trip was about 20 minutes or so. Evergreen was a great place to stay, and I particularly enjoyed the lobster for dinner.

Port Vila, Vanuatu
reviews: 13
2. Re: Where to stay in Tanna?

Sunset is walking distance from the town & markets, prices reflect the different standards.

Helen owns Sunset, she runs a good little place, so if a room is all you want then you are fine there.

Bern
3. Re: Where to stay in Tanna?

And if you wanna explore the volcano properly stay in East Tanna for 2 nights. But make sure that you're in the west one night before your plane leaves because your trip from east to west might take longer than expected because of the bad roads. For East Tanna I recommend staying at the Tree Top Lodge (see my review on tripadvisor coming in the next days) or at Kelson's Jungle Oasis.

Geneva, Switzerland
4. Re: Where to stay in Tanna?

I stayed in to really nice and cheap places in east Tanna.

Volcano Island Paradise

http://www.facebook.com/volcanoislandparadise

Morris, the host is super friendly and we had nice talks. He built this bungalow project in order to help children from his village to pay the school fees.

Later I stayed at Yasur Campground in a treehouse with view of the volcano. (Like 50m from the entrance).It was amazing and the food was great. :)

Ask for Robert or Tomas, Phone : 88646 or 5470496

Enjoy your evenig at Yasur, it's an amazing experience !

Say hi for me if you get to one of this place ;)

Clementine from Switzerland

Brisbane, Australia
reviews: 35
5. Re: Where to stay in Tanna?

If you have the time, you could spend some time at a place near Lenakel. Evergreen was lovely when I stayed there quite a few years ago and I believe they have only gotten better. Then move to the other side of the island closer to the volcano and have more of a bungalow style experience.

Tanna is wonderful for so many different reasons. I am sure you will enjoy wherever you choose.

Kerry

Kurrajong, Australia
6. Re: Where to stay in Tanna?

hi, I would like to stay on both the east and west side of the island but was wondering how to do it. Is transport available to get across?

Adelaide
7. Re: Where to stay in Tanna?

Wherever you stay will be able to arrange transport across, likely to be a 4wd ute. The roads are very rough and it takes close to two hours to get across the island because of this depending on where you are heading.

We stayed at Tanna Island Dreams bungalows on the east side, and really enjoyed the experience. The drive across the island is definitely part of that experience!

Cheers, Barbara

Port Vila, Vanuatu
8. Re: Where to stay in Tanna?

All excelent advice provided above.

One suggestion which has worked well for my guests in both WGOR & TERT in the past is (in order to experience both sides) is to stay on one of the west side resorts or bungalows then take their volcano trip (take your luggage).

Do the volcano with their vehicle and be droped off at the bottom of the volcano on the way down, where you would have the East side accommodation provider waiting for you with their vehicle to take you to their place (pre booked with them).

Cheers,

John

Edited: 8:27 pm, August 23, 2012
New Zealand
reviews: 40
9. Re: Where to stay in Tanna?

Port resolution is close to the volcano, and well worth the authentic experience. Werri is a great host. They also have some power in the evenings, and a cold fridge. Close to the hot springs,shark bay and a lovely beach for kids to swim in. Stay in authentic huts.

Evergreen on the market (airport side)side is also lovely, but more the resort experience, close to blue holes for a snorkel.

Travel is done in 4WD. If you are seeing the volcano, it is a long trip so staying first on that side is reccomended

toowoomba
reviews: 37
10. Re: Where to stay in Tanna?

We also stayed at Port Resolution Yacht Club and would highly recommend it. We had great views over the bay from the balcony of our bungalow which was the one higher up on the cliff. It was a great place; it had a great swimming beach 2 minutes walk away, a great surf beach 10 minutes away, volcanic springs about 30 minutes walk around the bay and we could see the smoke rising and the glow from the volcano from our balcony when relaxing on it in the evenings.

Werri will pick you up from the airport and drop you back wherever. We got dropped off at White Sands.

Get answers to your questions about Tanna Island