We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting in January

Which Tongatapu Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New Zealand
Visiting in January

Hi,

We are visiting in January 2010, I'm taking my 3 daughters and staying with an old school mate , Any tips on clothing and shopping would be good.

Also what is the power supply like, I would like to take my laptop and camera ect but they will need charging.

We are there for 2 weeks, looking forward to it.

Anything else we may need to take from here ?

Thanks

Southern California
reviews: 13
1. Re: Visiting in January

Make sure that your mate still has a home, as the tsunami hit there!

You will need an adapter for a different shaped plug. I believe that your power in NZ is also a different wattage, so you may need a converter too. Aren't you 240? Most of the South Pacific is 220.

Buy one that is specifically for a laptop to avoid frying it!

The NZ plug is different shaped than any other plugs, I would buy David Stanley's SOUTH PACIFIC (Moon Guides) for valuable, great info, as he travels solo, incognito & will have all kinds of practical advise. He may have one that is just for Tonga, check Amazon.

Take DEET, there's Dengue fever in the South Pacific. Wear cotton, loose clothing. Waterproof sunblock, 30-50 SPF. Sun hats, so you don't fry your brains.

Be aware that the Tongans, Fijians & Samoans are modest, so no short-shorts or bikinis or halter tops around town... wear a sulu over the bathing suit. Very different than Tahitians.

Go to a church service to hear the amazing singing.

Brush teeth with bottled water. Drink lots of water, juice, so you don't dehydrate from sun & booze... this can cause the runs.

Wear sun hats & really be careful as the sun on the equator is very strong & be aware that the reflection from the sea can burn you under you hat brim and also on cloudy days.

New Zealand
2. Re: Visiting in January

Thanks for that.

Yes he is still there, they live just out of town.

He recomends the smae things which is good.

He has a TV so I can edit the photos donig it that way, and the battery charger runs fromm 100 - 240 volts so that should be ok. I'll email him about the wall plug's he may even have an adaptor.

Thanks for the help, hope there are no more earth quakes ect.........cheers

3. Re: Visiting in January

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, April 02, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Tongatapu Island