We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Exchanging bolivars for dollars online? (or airport/bank )

Which Caracas hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Philadelphia...
Exchanging bolivars for dollars online? (or airport/bank )

Greetings people, my girlfriend can not get dollars from CADAVIL in time for her departure on Dec. 16th. Is there any way for her to get dollars online? She is flying to Bogota, Colombia first and then to Houston and then to Newark, N.J. Can she exchange bolivars for dollars in the Bogota airport? or how about in Houston? If you have any information, I would greatly appreciate it.

11 replies to this topic
Isla de Margarita
reviews: 28
1. Re: Exchanging bolivars for dollars online? (or airport/bank )

Dollars for Bolivares inside of Venezuela will cost around Bs 60-65 for $1 usd unless you use CADIVI.

Outside of Venezuela it is almost impossible to change Bs. for dollars.

Margarita Island
Destination Expert
for Margarita Island
2. Re: Exchanging bolivars for dollars online? (or airport/bank )

I don't know how long she's known about her trip.

Usually CADIVI is pretty fast in approving her credit card for US$ purchases outside Venezuela.

She can also apply for up to $500 in cash which is also quite fast.

Granted given that you post this here 6 days before her trip she's probably out of luck.

She would have to buy US$ on the black market if she can find someone who will sell them to her.

There is a real scarcity of cash in the country.

As the poster above points out she would most likely be paying up to Bs.70 for cash.

There is also no possibility to transfer US$ to her.

Edited: 12:11 pm, December 10, 2013
Philadelphia...
3. Re: Exchanging bolivars for dollars online? (or airport/bank )

Thanks for promptly replying, What if she were to exchange her bolivars for colombian pesos at the currency exchange in the airport in Bogota? How many bolivars can a Venezuelan citizen take out of the country legally to Colombia? And can she exchange her bolivars for pesos there? I discovered that travelex in Newark Airport will exchange pesos for dollars.

Edited: 5:46 pm, December 10, 2013
Willemstad, Curacao
reviews: 24
4. Re: Exchanging bolivars for dollars online? (or airport/bank )

Hi, I have been to Bogota, and it's possible to exchange Bs into dollars in n exchange office (at the black market rate) it means 65-1

Willemstad, Curacao
reviews: 24
5. Re: Exchanging bolivars for dollars online? (or airport/bank )

It's the same thing if you buy pesos, euros,dollars, guilders or British pounds, you'll get bolivars into dollars, and after that dollars into the other currency, She can take out the country up to 10.000u$ or its equivalent in another currency.

hope it helped.

Margarita Island
Destination Expert
for Margarita Island
6. Re: Exchanging bolivars for dollars online? (or airport/bank )

As of the latest information from Cúcuta she'll receive 31 pesos for each Bolivar.

You need 1936 Pesos for US$1.

That's without the fees, etc. so expect some shrinkage.

Supposedly for US$100 she'll need Bs.6,245 + fees.

Count on around Bs.6.500 for each $100.

Philadelphia...
7. Re: Exchanging bolivars for dollars online? (or airport/bank )

Thanks Playa agua, and medical doctor for your very specific information. You guys are great!

Sacramento...
8. Re: Exchanging bolivars for dollars online? (or airport/bank )

I tried to convert 12,000 BSf in the Bogota Airport. They wanted to exchange BSf to pesos... and then convert to dollars. In the end... they "offered" me $120 US dollars for the 12,000 BSf. 100 to 1 exchange. I said No Thank You!

Margarita Island
Destination Expert
for Margarita Island
9. Re: Exchanging bolivars for dollars online? (or airport/bank )

Jon, you should have taken the $120.

Even at the best rate you would have only gotten $135.

Now you're stuck with Bs.12.000

Caracas, Venezuela
10. Re: Exchanging bolivars for dollars online? (or airport/bank )

Hi, I would like buy US dollar via transfer to US account, that`s legal. If you are comming to Venezuela I give you Bs. and you not have to get it only transfer to US account. No a lot of money, serious business. Write to bastianel@gmail.com.

Hola, quiero comprar US Dolares via transferencia a una cuenta en $ a cambio de transferencia a una cuenta en Bs. Este metodo es mas seguro y legal. preferiblemente a una tasa menor del paralelo.

Escribe a: bastianel@gmail.com

Reply to: Exchanging bolivars for dollars online? (or airport/bank )
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted