We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buying Venezuelan domestic airline tickets online

Which Caracas hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Quito, Ecuador
reviews: 4
Buying Venezuelan domestic airline tickets online

Does anyone have any experience purchasing domestic airline tickets for Venezuela from outside the country? I need to fly from Caracas to El Vigía (the nearest airport to Merida). I have tried to book using the websites of both Conviasa and Laser Airlines, and was unable to because they require a Venezuelan cedula (national ID card). You cannot complete the transaction without one. They also tend to ask for other information that limits a non-Venezuelan's ability to book (a local phone number, etc). Conviasa even makes you register and asks for place of birth...the choices are limited to Venezuelan states!! Am I doing something wrong or it is simply impossible for a foreigner to purchase domestic airline tickets online? If so, this is the only country for which I have ever experienced this. I cannot wait until I am in Caracas to book, as there may be few seats left. How does one purchase a domestic ticket from outside the country? Can a travel agent do it? Thanks.

Edited: 9:36 pm, October 15, 2012
9 replies to this topic
Porlamar, Venezuela
1. Re: Buying Venezuelan domestic airline tickets online

In my experience it's just impossible. I tried to do it some years back and first of all, travel agents in Canada do not have the plates to make the bookings, I don't know about where you are from. Next I just called the airlines directly, Conviasa I think. They took the reservation but since you can't pay with a foreign credit card they told me to pay when I got to the airport. I had a reservation code and everything but when I got there there was no reservation under my name.

Margarita Island
Destination Expert
for Margarita Island
2. Re: Buying Venezuelan domestic airline tickets online

There is one reliable way for foreigners to book national tickets for trips inside Venezuela.

Our guests have been using Magic Tours for the last couple of years with great success. They book the tickets & you pay them in $$ outside the country.

You can see their contact info here:

www.islamargarita.com/magic-tours-english.htm

Isla de Margarita
reviews: 28
3. Re: Buying Venezuelan domestic airline tickets online

As Playaelagua says use Magic Tours or go to www.despegar.com

Quito, Ecuador
reviews: 4
4. Re: Buying Venezuelan domestic airline tickets online

I have actually tried www.despegar.com as well and it would not accept my (perfectly valid) credit card in the Venezuela section of the page. I'll try Magic Tours. Thanks.

5. Re: Buying Venezuelan domestic airline tickets online

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11:05 am, March 22, 2013

6. Re: Buying Venezuelan domestic airline tickets online

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 2:05 pm, April 10, 2013

Juan Griego...
reviews: 1
7. Re: Buying Venezuelan domestic airline tickets online

You need to find a travel agent in Venezuela who also has an account (bank or Paypal) outside the country. They buy the ticket locally in Bolivarsd and then (should) charge you at something like a reasonable black market rate, which is something like 50% cheaper than if you pay online with your non-venezuelan credit card at the official rate. If they charge you the official rate they are ripping you off. Try Magic Tours, Hike-Venezuela or Adventure Tours Venezuela.

8. Re: Buying Venezuelan domestic airline tickets online

Removed on: 9:35 pm, May 20, 2013

Cumaná
9. Re: Buying Venezuelan domestic airline tickets online

Local tour operators and travel agencies can help you.

Reply to: Buying Venezuelan domestic airline tickets online
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted