We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety on the island

Which Porlamar hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Trinidad
reviews: 2
Safety on the island

Is it safe to come to Margarita anytime soon? I am hearing of disruptions in the country

18 replies to this topic
alkmaar
reviews: 1
1. Re: Safety on the island

IT'S NOT! According to an article in the newspaper SOL DE MARGARITA, published on Feb. 17 last, tourist safety is a major concern with the tourist authorities on Margarita. In the first two weeks of February 15 people were murdered on Margarita, including a 76 year old passenger who just came ashore to do some shopping! Countless of people got mugged, robbed or injured, but these incidents are no even considered to be newsworthy anymore.

Don' t let anybody tell you Margarita is safe. Go online and check SOL DE MARGARITA.

As far as the unrest in Venezuela is concerned: on Margarita this unrest seems to be limited to Porlamar.

alkmaar
2. Re: Safety on the island

Today (Friday, Feb 21, 2014) in the SOL DE MARGARITA newspaper: murderrate on Margarita Island is 39 to 100.000 people, higher than 32 to 100.000 people in neighbouring Colombia (which is generally considered to be a dangerous country!).

streeter
3. Re: Safety on the island

Really such a dangerous place, please check online solution in this thread.

streeter
4. Re: Safety on the island

Warn anybody tell you Margarita is not safe. Go online and check SOL DE MARGARITA. I hope you enjoyed my suggestion.

Trinidad
reviews: 2
5. Re: Safety on the island

Thank you

Porlamar, Venezuela
6. Re: Safety on the island

it is not that grave, common people....what are you saying? it is perfectly normal for south america...it is safe and sound, a lot of brasilians are here, as tourists, enjoying margarita and sun...and all this what are you saying...bollocks...what, trinidad is safe as a heaven, ha? noobody gets killed there,and there is no criminal there...yeah right...or nassau bahamas, or cozumel, or curacao...get real people, please, and stop spiting on margarita...if you dont wanna come, then dont, but stop speaking bad about it...leave our beautiful island alone...

Porlamar, Venezuela
7. Re: Safety on the island

it is not that grave, common people....what are you saying? it is perfectly normal for south america...it is safe and sound, a lot of brasilians are here, as tourists, enjoying margarita and sun...and all this what are you saying...bollocks...what, trinidad is safe as a heaven, ha? noobody gets killed there,and there is no criminal there...yeah right...or nassau bahamas, or cozumel, or curacao...get real people, please, and stop spiting on margarita...if you dont wanna come, then dont, but stop speaking bad about it...leave our beautiful island alone...

Isla de Margarita
reviews: 36
8. Re: Safety on the island

camilo4 has more than 26 negative posts about Margarita since 2011 and 0 positive posts. It makes one wonder what is going on.

He reads the local newspaper but is not here to observe or report anything but negativiity.

alkmaar
9. Re: Safety on the island

@ beachfan51260: did you read the article in the Sol de Margarita? If the tourist safety is a major concern with the Margarita tourist authorities, you can bet tourist safety is a major issue. Comparing Margarita with other tourist destinations does not make sense: two wrongs don't make it right. People should stop ignoring the elephant in the room and start taking care of the situation. I feel homesick for Margarita alsmost everyday, but as long as my Margarita friends advise me NOT to come, I will choose a safer Caribbean destination.

alkmaar
10. Re: Safety on the island

@info posada margarita: one wonders what is going on? That's easy: I am one of the few people that have not yet given up on Margarita!

There are so many things to love about the island, but having your pockets picked by the authorities at the airport or having to block your hotel room with a chair every night are not among these things!

Start addressing the problems instead of playing them down.

By the way: the Sol de Margarita is not my only source of information, I have friends on the island as well that keep me informed.

Reply to: Safety on the island
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Porlamar