We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Departure taxes, mosquitos.

Which Porlamar hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Hamilton, Ontario
Departure taxes, mosquitos.

We leave on Feb 16, 2005, staying at the Flamenco Villas. Just wondering if someone could inform us what the actual departure tax was in US$. Also if there is any problems with mosquitos. Do we have to bring repellant? Also someone stated there was a problem with wearing jewellery, does that mean someone is going to mug for my cheap crap?

toronto
reviews: 5
1. Re: Departure taxes, mosquitos.

the departure tax should be paid in bolivars or they rip you off. Its about 45$ US. There are no mosquitos, there is no mugging.

Poland
reviews: 40
2. Re: Departure taxes, mosquitos.

the departure tax is 86000 Bs ( yr tickets may include this ! so check with yr airline/travelagent) . So if changed yr $ before at 2800-3000 Bs/$, you know how much it will cost u. Otherwise they will charge u in $ at official rate which is 1915 Bs to $...

Grimsby, Ontario
reviews: 11
3. Re: Departure taxes, mosquitos.

We just returned from Margarita Island one week ago. The departure tax is $46.00 US per person. So make sure you set this money aside, as they don't take credit cards or debit. If you pay in Bolivars {which we eventually did} it turns out you're paying about $33.00 US, if that makes sense. Don't wear expensive jewellery as this is a very poor island and you will attract attention and could get hurt. Wear you cheap jewellery in the resort. Bring some mosquito repellant as the tiny

mosquitos they have there, come out at night. We didn't have a big mosquito problem at our resort, just many flys around the buffet table! Anyhow, hope you have a great trip!

Grimsby, Ontario

Margarita Island
Destination Expert
for Margarita Island
4. Re: Departure taxes, mosquitos.

There has been a recent change to the exit tax due to a change in the basis that the government uses to determine it.

The new exit tax is Bs.102,900 which is around $54 at the official rate and around US$44.75 at the blackmarket rate.

Always try and pay this exit tax in Bolivars. If you pay in dollars it will be at the official rate.

USA
reviews: 4
5. Re: Departure taxes, mosquitos.

PlayaElAqua:

You seem very familiar w/Mar. Isle and I guess you are living there? Anyway, could you answer a couple of questions?

I am coming from the U.S., and was wondering if the best way to get to Marg. Isle would be to stay in Caracas, then get a shuttle to the isle. That said, is the only way to get from Caracas to the isle by plane? I was hoping for water taxi.

What's the best area to stay in on Marg. Isle that is close to Caracas and has great beach?

Thanks so much!!!

Margarita Island
Destination Expert
for Margarita Island
6. Re: Departure taxes, mosquitos.

[quote}I am coming from the U.S., and was wondering if the best way to get to Marg. Isle would be to stay in Caracas, then get a shuttle to the isle. [/quote]

Yes that is the best way. You can reach Aeropostal in Miami at 1-888-912-8466 (Aeropostal USA) to book your flight over the next morning.

For a list of hotels around the Caracas airport have a look a good FAQ page at www.casatrudel.com/linksenglish.htm .

[quote]That said, is the only way to get from Caracas to the isle by plane? I was hoping for water taxi.

What's the best area to stay in on Marg. Isle that is close to Caracas and has great beach?[/quote]

Your conception of the distances is a little underestimated. Caracas is approximately 250 miles from Margarita. Take the 35 minute shuttle flight - a lot less aggravation than dealing with the ferry which is 5 or 6 hours. Once you are here the best are is Playa El Agua if you are into the beach. It is a 3 mile long white sand beach that is the most popular on the Island.

Michigan
reviews: 35
7. Re: Departure taxes, mosquitos.

We left Margarita Island on Feb. 16 th and the departure tax was $46 US or 87000 B.S.

Margarita Island
Destination Expert
for Margarita Island
8. Re: Departure taxes, mosquitos.

It is possible that the Margarita Island airport has not updated their tax - Caracas definitely has.

Thanks for the update. We'll update our info pages to reflect that.

italy
9. Re: Departure taxes, mosquitos.

I was just reading a local paper now and there was an article about this, as many tour operators have complained about the sudden increase in airport tax which went up to 112.000 bolivares, but in the article it said that people shouln't pay more than 86.000 bolivares or USD 46.

Walkerton, Canada
reviews: 14
10. Re: Departure taxes, mosquitos.

We came home from there on Jan 11 and it was 99,000 bolivars that day, it had gone up twice in the week we were there.

What you "should" pay doesnt matter, it's what they charge that counts!

You can pay in US if you want.

Get answers to your questions about Porlamar