We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Choice Lost World Tour Trip Advisor report

Which Porlamar hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Southampton
reviews: 46
First Choice Lost World Tour Trip Advisor report

Firstly I have to say that this was a fantastic tour and one I would have no hesitation in recommending. Any criticisms are levelled against First Choice and not the sub contracted operator.

Having looked for information here before I left and found very little I hope this is of help to anyone who has booked or is thinking of booking.

If anyone wants more details on the tour itself then if you e mail me I will forward my diary, but I think some of the fun was in experiencing as we did without pre-expectations so I’m not going to post too much here about the trip itself.

First Choice really need to get their act together and brief their guests more fully before departure. Their pre-information is very poor.

Itinerary

The itinerary varied from that advertised, but was an improvement on the whole. (I note that the new brochure's info is diiferent from the brochure I originally booked from.)

The flight was earlier on the Monday and we had a visit to the hydro-electric dam at Porto Ordaz on the first day. Some of the shopping tours were missed out – no loss unless you wanted to shop for jewellery and the flight over Angel Falls was a day sooner than advertised. It was very full and certainly not the usual ‘light weight tour’ where there is plenty of ‘afternoon at leisure’.

Accommodation

Hotel Tore at Porto Ordaz – not 3 * by any means. We had a room with hot water, but were in the minority. But clean and quite adequate.

Kaimoran Lodge – very basic and had little to commend it BUT was probably the best available en route south. No hot water but a clean room.

Grand Sabanah Hotel – advertised as 4*, clean, hot water and fine. Good sized room.

Arekuna Lodge – no hot water, limited electricity but the views and the setting forgave all short comings on that score completely! We could have stayed longer - even without the hot water and electricity!

Food

Very limited choice in most places. It was sandwiches and fruit for most of the lunches. But filling. Evening meal tended to be a set meal with no soup/starter or pudding - but no-one starved!

Money needed

At the first briefing the guides exchanged money into Bolivar and estimated $100 per person as being adequate. Although water and coke were provided we needed to buy more and this varied in price from 2-5 Bolivar for a coke / bottle of water. We had to pay the airport tax on the outward flight from Porlamar which was $18 each and entry into Canaima National Park $6. Apart from that it was just alcohol and souvenirs. (The Waterfall trip was extra but this could be paid for in Dollars, Sterling or Bolivars).

The first lunch was not included and we had to pay 40 Bolivars each for the meal arranged by the guides. It also cost us 40 Bolivar for the first dinner at the Great Western Hotel. If you think you will want souveniers take extra money and buy when you see them. Things tended not to be repeated and the items here were not available on Margaritta itself.

Tips

Tips were not expected in the hotels or on any of the excursions. We all got together and tipped the guides and coach driver what amounted to £10 each.

Guides

Gustavo and Aquillas with Richard as driver. Gustavo was very knowledgeable and made sure everthing ran smoothly.

What to take:

• Walking shoes /boots/sandals and a change of footwear. We wore walking sandals throughout BUT in wetter weather these would not have been adequate. If wet a change of foot wear would definitely be needed

• Long sleeved shirts and trousers. Some people opted to wear shorts and T shirts but got bitten by mosquitoes. We suffered very few bites but were covered at all times

. Fleece or jumper. It was cool in the Gran Sabanah at night and first thing in the morning

• 100% DEET for the jungle walks and at least 50% at other times

• A hat

• Sunscreen (not necessary if you wear long sleeves and trousers) and after sun

• Lightweight towel and swimwear as there were several opportunities to ‘get wet’

• Poncho - better than waterproof cagoule as it protected your camera etc when it rained

• Lightweight day sack

• Binoculars

• Wash kit and changes of clothes

• Lightweight case or bag

• Sweets/biscuits/nibbles if so inclined

• Head torch was useful in Arekuna camp if you wanted to move about after ‘lights out’

• Toilet roll! None of the toilets en route had any provided!

• Antibacterial handwash (or baby wipes) for obvious reasons as above!

• Antihistamine cream or Lanacane for bites if you got them!

• Malaria tablets – we didn’t bother as we took precautions against bites and didn’t get bitten BUT your choice! We opted to bring some in case rather than use them as a prophylactic.

• Batteries and camera cards – not always possible to recharge overnight

• American style plug adaptors

• Water bottle – we took light weight aluminium bottles which were handy on walks, but a plastic bottle would have been adequate

• several plastic bags for dirty washing and keeping things dry if it rains. Good protective plastic bag for camera/phone electricals etc

Hints

• Go to the toilet whenever offered the opportunity! Toilet stops at times were few and far between!

• Although you don’t need to be mega fit it would be worth taking a few brisk walks in the weeks before going just to tone up the muscles! Although the walks were gentle strolls there were one or two ‘uphill sections’!

• Isostar drink – we drank about a litre a day and found that it restored energy. One of the others felt ill, but picked up very quickly after drinking some.

• If you are likely to do similar again a visit to a camping store for lightweight equipment is expensive but worthwhile as it reduces the weight carried around.

Hope this is helpful. If anyone wants more details on the trip itself please feel free to e mail me.

London
reviews: 11
31. Re: First Choice Lost World Tour Trip Advisor report

Angel - ask them to refund you the cost of vaccinations etc.!!!!

Birmingham
reviews: 28
32. Re: First Choice Lost World Tour Trip Advisor report

We can't change our dates, so we have accepted a total refund and have refused to accept the £25pp compensation. We will be taking it further. I'll let you know the outcome.

Please check your tour is going ahead, preferably in writing, before spending on jabs and Malarone etc.

We're off to a 5* AI in Turkey instead. Not quite the same as flying over Angel Falls, but there you go.

Marion

Telford
reviews: 49
33. Re: First Choice Lost World Tour Trip Advisor report

Money question to those who've been (Credit Crunch, and all that!!)

What a fantastic forum. We have really enjoyed getting 'genned up' on our forth-coming trip. As many have said, we think First Choice is very poor in its itenary (or lack of). Certainly not what we expected.

Anyway, our question to those 'informed' is... how much money should we allow for the various airport tax/entrance fees? Likewise, did you use $ to buy the meal on the first night, or did you change $ into Bolivars?

We are planning to pack one clam-shell type suitcase and within it include a backpack each for the first week. What happens to the 'main' luggage, and was it safe?

We travel on 9th November 2008.

Many thanks in advance!

34. Re: First Choice Lost World Tour Trip Advisor report

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:18 pm, October 09, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Porlamar